My hand tool blanket chest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I got some help and dragged big Bertha down stairs from the shop and out side to take some decent pictures of her.:thumbs_up
P6125133.jpg
grey_corner_point.jpg
P6125155.jpg

This is a copy of a chest that is over in the Museum of Early Southern Dec. Arts (MESDA) collection in Old Salem. I had seen it several times before I decided to copy it, but it never seemed so large. But boy is it. I guess I have a good sense of proportion.

I'm kinda excited I have been accepted in to their summer institute. For the Month of July I get to study the back country southern material culture/decorative arts.

Hmmm. I see some chests and tables being turned upside down in the near future. Did I do that?

Jerome

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Very nice :icon_thum

Love the grain on the top.
What's the finish? Shellac and Wax?

A month at MESAD sounds good.
Be sure to give us a report when you get back!!

pete

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Fantastic work there, Jerome!!!:wsmile:

I too would like to hear about some of the construction details.

Nice piece!

Wayne

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
Most of it was a series of coats of coats of garnet colored shellac followed by a couple of coats of ultra blond shellac. All of which was applied with a 1" paint brush and a 1lb cut. It sounds insane, but it's Da bomb!! It's fast, goes on easy, very little rub out needed at the end, and I don't move the underlying color very much. It is a trick I learned from Don Williams.

I didn't succeed so well on the panels. They came out of a second piece of wood. I tried sealing them then staining them with walnut crystals. I got out all of the sap wood, but they are still a little greyer and less red than the rest of the carcase. Perhaps I should have tinted my shellac a little.

I am a little nervous about this finish thing.

I finished it off with a dark wax.

I hope that I didn't share too much.

Jerome

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
Happy birthday, by the way.

I can say that the corner posts came out of a piece of walnut that 4x10x10 and had very little sapwood. Can you say lots and lots of sawing. The corner posts are I think 1.5x3.5.
I had fun gluing up the top. the boards just wouldn't stay in place. It is the first time that I had such a hard time. And I didn't have any more boards suitable for the chest. Well, lets just say. The original piece has character, and so does mine. (a little dip at the end)

The batten on the top were installed with sliding dovetails. The original had nails. I can't drive a nail to save my life. I found that it is easier to make sliding dovetails that taper on both sides than to have them taper on only one side. When I took the chest outside to take pictures I was shocked to see that one of the battens has moved a bit. I am not sure of what to make of this.

Oh well I Have to go pack and work on this couch for a little bit,

I am heading home (Duck) for a few days I don't know how much I will be on the computer.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Beautiful work. Sounds like a real adventure in joinery!

When Sliding Dovetails are easier than nailing, you are saying a mouthful about your love of nails :)

Is there a drawer at the bottom?

Jim

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
Beautiful work. Sounds like a real adventure in joinery!

When Sliding Dovetails are easier than nailing, you are saying a mouthful about your love of nails :)

Is there a drawer at the bottom?

Jim

yup. It ain't real big, but it is there. i guess you could store your well ironed undies in there.

Sorry i missed the meet up on Wed, The schedule got away from me.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Is this the same chest? Looks like it.

walnut_chest_with_foot.jpg

Do you have any more construction pictures?

That is a great looking piece of furniture. I wish i could do that level of work someday.

dpsnyder

Dan
Corporate Member
that is beautiful work! I love the rich color. I have a bunch of walnut trying to tell me to make something out of it :gar-Bi I'll bend your ear sometime on the finish - it looks great!

Dan

SSuther

New User
Stan
Ditto on the compliments. I do love walnut. Congrats on the MESDA gig. I'll be there'll be plenty of good info and stories to come out of that. Please share them with us when you can.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
Thanks Mike. Yep it's the same ol chest. Just cleaned up a bit. I think I do hav e afew more construction pic. I will check when I get back home. I like the spoon. The chest can look nice , but I can Eat my ice cream with your spoon.:eusa_danc

Is this the same chest? Looks like it.

Do you have any more construction pictures?

That is a great looking piece of furniture. I wish i could do that level of work someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS