My first woodie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
This is from a friend's father, who was a woodworker in his day. Not sure what it is. It's pretty clean. No manufacturer's mark anywhere. Could this have been shop-made?

IMG_0650.jpg

5-1/2" long, 1-3/4" wide.

IMG_0651.jpg

The mouth looks like it was drilled by hand in the corners, and filed to shape (unfortunately the front of the mouth is very wide, and irregular :-? ).

IMG_0652.jpg

Blade is 1-5/32" wide.

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

So... what have we got here? Can it be made usable? My friend gave me this and some other tools, and he wants the tools put to good use. But if it's likely to be craftsman made (no, not Sears Craftsman! :slap: ) then I think I'd rather clean it up and give it back to him as a memento.

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
I would guess that is shop made, if'n I had to guess, but I've been wrong once or twice before. The mouth is big enough to be converted to a scrub it looks like, or you could inlay a new one and use it as a smoother.

I try to stay away from wooden planes because I know what can happen, and I need to stay away from the edge of that slope, although I see you are purposely sticking your foot out and trying to trip me. :eusa_naug :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Man, my dirty little mind is spinning is gears with that title, I will show restaint. That is a pretty plane, and it does look to be shop made. I would agree with what Jonz told you regarding the mouth. I would opt for the inlay or laying on another sole if you got the iron length to clear it. Woodies are sweet, the idea of somebody making a precision tool out of wood to shape wood is really deep. Dave:)

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
Looks like Todd over at WN says it is not shop made. He would know better than I by about 10 times over.

Monty

New User
Monty
Yep. Two votes for this thing being a child's plane. I'll definitely buy that, given the size of this thing. Todd has as "way with words", but he sees the value of things from the standpoint of collectors/resale value. He's always right-on with his assessment, though, as far as I can tell. I learn a lot from that forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS