My first real chair!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Last summer I bought a copy of John Alexander's "Making a Chair from a Tree". This past spring I got a red oak log and started making a chair from a tree. Made a modification to the plans. Changed the way the front top rail was made, more like the way Brian Boggs makes his. (Thanks for letting me steal your idea Brian.)

Made mostly with handtools (shaving horse, drawknife, spokeshaves and hand planes) with some powertool usage. Finished with Watco natural Danish oil. The seat is woven with polyester webbing.

Chair_1a.JPG

It's sturdy, comfortable and the most impressive is that it only weighs 6 lbs! Heck, I top the scales at 240! Ain't it wonderful what wood will do.:gar-Bi

Rick Doby

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That's great!

It looks just like a real chair. :icon_thum

I'll have to try it out and see how well it works.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
You're welcome any time Mike. It's your fault anyway, I had to make a shavinghorse for that spoon contest you sponsored a while back.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Great job :eusa_clap. I know how difficult that first chair can be. They are not like other projects.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
When I split up the log I made enough pieces to make 3 chairs. Hoping to get 1 to work. I'd like to try something different on the seat of another one like flat reed or rush.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
Nice chair!!! Great job!! Now you'll needs a few for the breakfast table and a couple for the porch....

Jerome

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
When I split up the log I made enough pieces to make 3 chairs. Hoping to get 1 to work. I'd like to try something different on the seat of another one like flat reed or rush.
Nice design on the chair. I'll look forward to see what the next design is. Great job!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great chair, Rick!!!!:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

I can see where the challenges are now. If only I could muster up this much courage to tackle one!:no: Not yet anyway!!!!:gar-La;

Can't wait to see the next installment.

WTG!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors