my first hand tool only project

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
Here is my almost (un)finished end table -dry fit assembled. this is my first hand tool only project -that goes for sawing, surfacing, joinery, etc. Well I'll drill the holes to fasten the top to the hidden supports on my drill press, but that's only b/c I don't have a brace (for now). I've been migrating over to neander ways during the past couple of projects and decided to go all the way on this project. The legs and aprons are walnut (jack murdock and the hardwood store of nc) and the top and shelf are mahogany (Chris aka srhardwoods -very nice stuff!). I still need to finish prepping the surfaces and glue it together. I'll probably pad on garnet shellac for the walnut and blonde shellac for the mahogany. Thanks for looking!

Sam

DSC03909.JPG

DSC03908.JPG

DSC03911.JPG

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Very nice. I'll bet you enjoyed the quiet while you were working on this.

BTW, if you are looking for a brace, PM me. I have a couple sitting around looking for something to do. No bits though.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wonderful work - always great to see what can be accomplished with hand tools.

I have several Braces and a complete set of bits to go with them if you'd like to use them. My avatar pic shows me using a 13" Brace (lots of torque) to drill 3/4" holes through my 5" thick Maple Workbench. I'd be happy to lend them to you as I don't use them daily by any means.

But then, a few power tools are always appropriate for special situations.

Love to see this happen. - Ken.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
While I don't understand the "hand tool only" approach to woodworking, I sure do respect people who know how to practice it. Maybe power tools can mask our inabilities to deal with real wood issues. Since you know how to make beautiful pieces like this one with your bare hands, I'll bet you're killer with power tools.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
While I don't understand the "hand tool only" approach to woodworking, I sure do respect people who know how to practice it. Maybe power tools can mask our inabilities to deal with real wood issues. Since you know how to make beautiful pieces like this one with your bare hands, I'll bet you're killer with power tools.

FWIW, I got in to hand tools to make up for my inadequacies w/ jig building. Seems I was always having to tweak something w/ a chisel or plane that didn't fit just right. I don't know how many tenons I've cut where the shoulders weren't square or the fit was either too tight or too loose. For me, between setup time and jig build, some things are much easier (and safer) to do by hand.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I may have an extra one to give up, I've been playing with spoffard (sp) braces. I have two so far. One has really nice walnut turned knobs. One is all metal. They both need a little love but work well as they are.

Volksdad

New User
Glen
The table is just beautiful.

My inability with hand tools is ironic considering my fascination with them.

I can't wait to see it finished.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Take a trip over to Ed's hand tool shop above the Woodwright's School in Pittsboro. He has lots of Braces and the bits for them for sale at present. Great place for hand tools and great guy to do business with.

Send email to edlebetkin<at>gmail.com to get on his mailing list to be notified of store hours which are somewhat irregular, having a lot to do with when classes are in session at the school.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Nice looking table, Sam. Can't wait to see it finished. Garnet, or Amber, shellac is my favorite finish for walnut. It really brings out the deep, rich tones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors