my first furniture piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsotmoon

New User
dsotmoon
I have been doing small woodworking projects and jobs over the years but this is something I did last year I consider my first furniture piece, for my own house when we got our flat screen TV, comments and critique welcome, mostly solid cherry, even the whole top, with a stain I developed myself to give it just a bit of an aged look.

the black "bar" you see is actually a bed sheet I wrapped around a frame and inset flush to the face, its not shown in the pic because they are on top of it, but I made it to put my surround sound speakers behind, just need to put them in and some type of baffling so it doesnt sound "echoey", if that makes sense. doors are inset with Blum soft close hinges. Finish is ML Campbell KlearVar conversion varnish

061910entcen.jpg

062510entcen.jpg

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Beautiful piece of furniture, great feeling isn't it? What is next on your list of things to make? I never finish one that I don't have another one in my mind. Thanks for sharing.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Now that is one cool piece of furniture!!!!!!!!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:cool::cool::cool:

I have always been intrigued with new audio/stereo equipment that is out there on the market. LOML is the one who insists that it fits in with her decor. I think that you nailed it with this piece!

Well done and am sure it will be enjoyed for some time to come. That cherry will darken with an awesome patina in short order.

Thanks for sharing!:wsmile:

Wayne

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Man, it seems like I'm the only one without a flat screen TV nowadays. :eusa_doh: Beautiful work! :icon_thum

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
very very nice piece!

with built in accoustical design!

Great job.

These larger pieces are wee bit harder than they look, IMHO.

congrats

Matt

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
If that is your first piece of furniture, I can't wait to see your second, third, fourth, . . . . . . ! It came out beautiful. I caught a glimpse of your shop in the background: how about posting some pics of that. We love pics.

Bill

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
If that's your first piece, you've got a great start...beautiful work. I'm sure we will see many more in the future.:eusa_clap

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
What the others have observed, great work.
I can't help but be amused when thinking back to my first TV stand project in 1971 for my then new 13 channel color TV. What a piece of crap that was! I discarded it after a side bump turned it into a parallelogram.
Its very encouraging to see such workmanship as a "first" project, though its clear you're experienced at woodworking at some level. That's the kind of first large project that you won't be ashamed of in 40 years.

dsotmoon

New User
dsotmoon
thanks everyone for the kind comments, I have done woodworking of some sort for a long time, just never larger furniture pieces, I do look forward to doing more soon, right now i'm working on getting my small shop better organized so I can do more, especially since my wife has "let" me buy a bunch of new tools recently!

Glennbear

Glenn
Very nicely done :thumbs_up the finish looks great especially when one considers the inherent blotchiness of cherry and you mixed the stain yourself. :wsmile:

cpw

New User
Charles
You said you would welcome criticism, so here goes:
Very nice design. Good proportions. Simple, elegant lines. You seem to have taken the Louis Sullivan mantra of "form follows function" to heart. Great job! I wish my first piece had been that good.

Cheers,
Charles

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
You said you would welcome criticism, so here goes:
Very nice design. Good proportions. Simple, elegant lines. You seem to have taken the Louis Sullivan mantra of "form follows function" to heart. Great job! I wish my first piece had been that good.

Cheers,
Charles

Gee, Charles, you could have been a bit more sublte in your harshness. :rotflm:
I like the clean lines of your piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors