My dilenma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetgum

New User
Brad Keisler
So, I've located a Craftsman 22124 table saw (hybrid- with Bess fence), used less than 90 days, with the full manufacturer's warrantly available.

I should be able to get it for around $500. The right cast iron extension is not flush though, and am wondering if anyone can shed some light on how easy it would be to ensure a nice flush surface with a bit of fine tuning.

Also, I've read that given the right circumstances a new 22124 can be had for around the $650 range, although I've not found this enticing combination of discounts in the 3+ months I've been in the market.

I've read a good number of favorable reviews on the tool, and am also interested to know if any of you use the saw and what your impressions/opinions are.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have heard good things about the "zip code" saws. To get that super $650 deal you just about have to sell your soul to Sears, and hold your head a funny way, and wait for the planets to align just right. So I would say go for it:icon_thum Flushing up the extentions wings, providing they are flat, should be just a matter of loosening some mounting bolts and tweaking the alignments a little. Good luck and show us some pictures of your steal when you get it.

Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Sounds like a good deal. As Dave said, as long as the extension is flat then you should be able to align it easy enough by loosening the mounting bolts.

D L

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
In addition to just the bolts, if there is a need to adjust it for flatness across the top you can use masking tape as a shim between the table and the wing. To shim up, run a strip below the bolts, down, the above the bolts. Sounds like a pretty nice score. :icon_thum

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Paid $725.00 for mine 12/2004 with C-Club and Sale. Included delivery and 2 year on-site service. Neither my RH or LH wings are exactly flush, but are very close.
Joe

Sweetgum

New User
Brad Keisler
Seems like I should act on this. Thanks for the reassuring all :p

As an aside, anyone have any experience with moving a fully assembled 400+ pound TS? Should I disassemble it prior to hauling it home, or should I just buy a couple of cases of good beer and start making calls:eusa_clap

I'll have to disassemble it to move it down the gentle slope of my yard to the back of my property regardless, so, should I just do this prior to loading it initially?

Will handling it fully assembled in any way negative affect its integrity?

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought the Craftsman saw with the Bess fence in June 2005. I was able to line both wings up with just a little fiddling to dead even. Have not had any problems with it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sweetgum said:
Seems like I should act on this. Thanks for the reassuring all :p

As an aside, anyone have any experience with moving a fully assembled 400+ pound TS? Should I disassemble it prior to hauling it home, or should I just buy a couple of cases of good beer and start making calls:eusa_clap

I'll have to disassemble it to move it down the gentle slope of my yard to the back of my property regardless, so, should I just do this prior to loading it initially?

Will handling it fully assembled in any way negative affect its integrity?

I would remove the top, motor, and anything else that can be taken off prior to loading it initially. That will make the rest easier. Once you have all those parts off it should be managable for a couple of strong fellows. Remember wheels are your friends, a good funiture or appliance dolly could come in handy. If you don't take it apart initially, I wouldn't recommend using the top to lift it, cast iron can be brittle.
Dave:)

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Most definitely take off the rails, wings, main table and outfeed table. Use a fridge dolly to move the base. Since it's a cabinet mounted trunnion the table aligns with 4 bolts accessible from outside the base. The manual is straight forward on the adjustments. Takes all of 15 minutes to square the saw. Just remember to start out with the blade centered in the insert. Fellow I know had his too close to the left and the 1st time he cranked it to 45 deg it chewed up the insert. Didn't do that great Leitz blade any good either!
Joe

sapwood

New User
Roger
Some disassembly would make transport easier, reduce risk of damaging parts, and afford you the opportunity to go through the process of reassembly and alignment.

Sapwood

Mountaincraft

New User
William
If the wings are not flat with the main table, cheat to make the first half even with the back half off. I heard this saw was under-powered for a hybrid. Is this right?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I don't feel that it's underpowered for home use. I recently resawed a 4" balk of walnut for cabriole legs and it powered right on through. The balk was wet and the blanks are still drying.
Joe

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Mountaincraft said:
If the wings are not flat with the main table, cheat to make the first half even with the back half off. I heard this saw was under-powered for a hybrid. Is this right?

I had the same concern when I saw it last night at Sears. Seemed like a really nice Unisaw clone...then I noticed that it was only 1.5 hp. Kinda made me scratch my head as to why Craftsman would do that. I'm no woodworking guru for sure, but I guess that the motor size would be the best place to skimp without hurting accuracy. Anybody look as to if the motor could be swapped out for one with a higher rating?

woodguy1975

New User
John
chris99z71 said:
I had the same concern when I saw it last night at Sears. Seemed like a really nice Unisaw clone...then I noticed that it was only 1.5 hp. Kinda made me scratch my head as to why Craftsman would do that. I'm no woodworking guru for sure, but I guess that the motor size would be the best place to skimp without hurting accuracy. Anybody look as to if the motor could be swapped out for one with a higher rating?

It is doubtful without some engineering. DAMHIKT. My Jet Cabinet saw took some work to get it to take a US standard motor. I have suspect that the Craftsman is the same way.

John

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
If you look on the website they make a 3HP unit too. No need to replace the motor, just see if you can catch that one on sale. The standard price is about the same as a Uni.

Mountaincraft

New User
William
After looking more, craftsman has a lot of cheap motors in supposedly good tools. Don't look at horsepower, just amps at voltage. Accuracy has more to do with set up. Is the blade dead square to the table at 90? Is the blade perfectly aligned (know the criticicism) with the miter slots? Is the fence perfectly aligned with the miter slots over full range? How and how much does the fence deflect with imperfect wood?

At $500, for 15 amps with capacitor start and run, get a contractor saw and learn its tricks.

Sears is taking a nose dive into the disposable with its flagships.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mountaincraft said:
Sears is taking a nose dive into the disposable with its flagships.
I visited the Sears at Southpoint mall yesterday as it was the closest place to pick up a forstner bit. There were stacks of power tools, but I couldn't find the usual "wall" of drill bits (brad points, forstner, etc.). After querying the clerk, I got the response: "yeah, they removed about 75% of that stuff last week, but some of it is at another store".

Hmmm, power tools, but not the stuff to make them usable 8-O

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS