My Dewalt DW618 Router Croaked! Update, Fixed Under Warranty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
:BangHead::crossedlips::wsad:

I got the DW618PK 3 base kit 2 or 3 years ago when Mark at HDT had a few for ~$120, a fantastic deal.
90% of my routing I do with the Bosch 1613 in the router table. I doubt if the Dewalt has 3 hours run time, all hand held, heck it's never been dusty!

I started routing a few mortises this afternoon and it ran for about a minute and I saw a brush arc and it stopped.

I removed the top cap and removed the brushes, finding the commutator very black (dirty). I cleaned it with crocus cloth. The brushes had deep horizontal grooves across the curved faces???
I sanded the brushes flat and removed the grooves and reassembled.

It made a couple of weak attempts to start but no jot.
I removed the cap again and noticed that the commutator is about 1/8" bigger below the brush area than where the brushes ride!

How the heck could the commutator wear that much in so little use? Until today I haven't seen any brush arcing and I'm attentive to that having worked with motors a lot in industry way back.

Anywhoo, it's probably out of warranty but I'll contact Dewalt Monday and see what they say about the commutator wear.
Makes me sick, I really enjoy using that router and got a super deal from Mark.

Thanks for the shoulders to cry on.

Ken

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Re: My Dewalt DW618 Router Croaked!

On 3 DeWalt tools I have I have had to replace the switches/speed controls. This goes for my router, drill, and CMS. I have never had any issues with the commutator, armature or brushes. Seems odd to say the least.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken

I was about to post that I spoke too soon on the commutator. I found the parts diagram online and the commutator is supposed to have the 'ledge' at the bottom.

I messed with it again and found a couple of pieces of something rolling around, I think it is the 'magnetic ring'.
I'll take the motor to the service center Monday.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member

I've gotten great support on out-of-warranty DeWalt tools (in excellent condition) from the folks at the factory repair center in Raleigh. I've had a compressor pump changed out at no charge and a circular saw motor replaced at no charge. In both cases they offered to do the work without any hassle. They commented that they could tell that the tools hadn't been abused. I was impressed. Is there a repair center in your area?

Bob

LeeNC

New User
Lee

That stinks. Mine has held up really well so far. It will be interesting to here what they do. Hopefully they do the right thing.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken

That stinks. Mine has held up really well so far. It will be interesting to here what they do. Hopefully they do the right thing.
I dropped it off at the service center. The lady did the paperwork for a warranty repair :) but said someone will call later this week and verify that or tell me how much the repair will be.

DavidF

New User
David

Same happened to mine a few weeks ago, smoke appeared during use! I had used it so little I thought it must have been still in warranty! checked the original receipt and it was 3 years old! took it to the repair centre in Raleigh and the lady gave me a slip that said "possible repair charge $125" I thought "ouch", but accepted that. I went back 10 days later to find they had replaced the complete armature under warranty! NO CHARGE one issue I did have afterwards was that the spindle lock no longer engaged fully. Took it back and they fixed that without comment. A great service from the Dewalt people and I remain a satisfied customer. So try taking it to a service centre, you might be surprised.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken

All is well. Dewalt demonstrated outstanding customer support and repaired the router under warranty even tho the warranty period was expired. The folks at the Greenville SC service center are great folks.
The magnet ring (speed sensor thingie) disintrigated and destroyed the armature.

Well done Dewalt and Greenville SC service center.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Now that's great news :banana:

Of course, now I'm afraid to fire up my DW618 :tongue2:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS