My dad's router

rmontgomery1

New User
Roger
I just found my dad's old Craftsman router, and am debating about whether or not it's worth the effort to fix the things that need attention, or just buy a new one. It looks like parts are few and far between, and there is something in the back of my mind that the last time I tried to use it, I got a bit of a jolt.
I have some sentimental attachment to it, but by the same token, questioning whether it's worth it. Recommendations, opinions, or suggestions are welcome.
signal-2023-01-15-18-00-03-735.jpg

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ergonomically, these Sears routers are the best. I have two. One was my dads that I continued to use. I found a used one that I bought some time later.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
I also have two, but only one collet and collet nut. I bought one back in the '60's and FIL gave me the second. I agree with the ergonomics and love the switch on the handle.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I can relate to your situation. I still have some of the tools my Dad left me (25 years now). I held on to his old table saw for many years. For some reason that tool meant more to me than anything else. However, eventually it was not safe when I was using constantly beyond it’s capacity.

If you are going to have light use and just need something to get by, spend a little time to see what’s going on. Take it apart and clean it all up, see if that helps. Use it to learn and better understand what you need so you know what kind of router you need.

Otherwise, get a new one and put it in the box your Dad made. You might look at it like, having something he made is better than having something he bought?

rmontgomery1

New User
Roger
I also have two, but only one collet and collet nut. I bought one back in the '60's and FIL gave me the second. I agree with the ergonomics and love the switch on the handle.
I do, too. And I kinda want to save it. I have it in pieces now, and am cleaning it up

rmontgomery1

New User
Roger
I can relate to your situation. I still have some of the tools my Dad left me (25 years now). I held on to his old table saw for many years. For some reason that tool meant more to me than anything else. However, eventually it was not safe when I was using constantly beyond it’s capacity.

If you are going to have light use and just need something to get by, spend a little time to see what’s going on. Take it apart and clean it all up, see if that helps. Use it to learn and better understand what you need so you know what kind of router you need.

Otherwise, get a new one and put it in the box your Dad made. You might look at it like, having something he made is better than having something he bought?
That's kind of what I'm trying now. I am trying to clean it up and see what happens.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
You need to address that 'jolt' issue if you're getting shocked. As for parts, I tried to get a new control module for one of the 'newer' Craftsman slow startup routers & had no success. The hot lead spade connector had broken off from vibration and I have no way to reconnect it presently but I'm somewhat of a spendthrift when it comes to these things. Most of the older units have a longer service life than the new ones in my experience. but when they finally fail, it's time for the trash heap.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
If you toss it and "buy a new one" then you need to look at the relative quality level of that specific router and buy like quality/price. There are some really trashy junk routers for cheap out there.
The 1975 catalog cut shows that router at the $75.00 price range. Adjusted for today's inflation your father paid the equivalent of $425.00 in today's money. $75.00 was a pile of money back then so that's why he took the time to make a nice box for it.

1       searsrouter.jpg

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
The 1975 catalog cut shows that router at the $75.00 price range. Adjusted for today's inflation your father paid the equivalent of $425.00 in today's money. $75.00 was a pile of money back then so that's why he took the time to make a nice box for it.
Another way to compare a good 1975 era router to today’s valve is to look at one that is at least equivalent today. Not sure what features the old Craftsman had, but I think this Bosch would be as good if not better. It has both 1/4 & 1/2 collets and 2 bases so you can have one in a router table and the other for hand/plunge type work. It’s about $250…new with warranty.

rmontgomery1

New User
Roger
I spent last night cleaning it up, and took it nearly completely apart. I'm gonna try and test it today, depending in how I feel (fighting a sinus infection, I think). If it will run correctly, I'll be happy to use it!

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I have a similar vintage craftsman router that inherited from a great uncle. As received the switch in the handle would stay on, so I took it apart and cleaned it and it’s worked fine ever since (probably 10 years ago). My point is that get the little issues fixed and the router will probably keep going!

Mine is mounted in a router table I use it to run grooves for cabinet doors.

rmontgomery1

New User
Roger
I have a similar vintage craftsman router that inherited from a great uncle. As received the switch in the handle would stay on, so I took it apart and cleaned it and it’s worked fine ever since (probably 10 years ago). My point is that get the little issues fixed and the router will probably keep going!

Mine is mounted in a router table I use it to run grooves for cabinet doors.
I didn't disassemble the motor, but I did take the air compressor to it to blow the junk out of it. I'm hoping it isn't shorted to the frame. Seems to spin pretty freely and the brushes look good.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS