For those interested in antique and traditional wood working tools, there
will be an Area meeting of Mid West Tool Collectors Association in Raleigh,
NC on Saturday, July 24. M-WTCA is much more than just a bunch of tool
collectors as a large percentage of our members use the tools. For
additional information on M-WTCA, visit www.mwtca.org

This meeting will be a great place to learn about tools, find both user
grade as well as collectable tools at very reasonable prices and to meet
others that share our mutual interests in antique & traditional tools,
woodworking and related stuff and to perhaps join the association.

For additional information on the meeting, please contact Ed Hobbs by PM. He is
hobbsed.

Last edited by a moderator:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Sorry we'll miss you Mark!

I sure plan to be there. I've got to break into my piggy bank, someone has TimberFrame/Slick fever!!

Oh, and spokeshave fever and hand saw fever and plane fever and.......

Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
You need to be a member or a guest of a member.

Deadline for early registration is July 17th (aka pre-late registration fee).

Jim

SSuther

New User
Stan
Not sure if I can make it this year, but I'd recommend it to anyone who likes tools. It's worth the trip just to see Ed's personal collection which is massive, including lots of foot-powered tools.

hobbsed

New User
Ed
I tell people there are two misnomers about the name Mid West Tool Collectors Association.

One is mid west as we have members all over the US (about 3400). To give us a local presence we local or Area meetings and NC has 4 very good ones.

The other is tool collectors. We have people with all types of interests in antique/traditional tools from using them to making and restoring them to reselling them to collecting them and all combinations. A very large percentage of our members use the tools in some form or fashion. Most of what you will find here will be what I call “user grade” tools.

And finally, the worst thing you will get at one of our meetings is a 2 hour answer to a five second question so be warned!

Thanks Ed

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Ed,
Has something changed? In years gone by non-members were welcome. We simply paid a little more for the privilege/food, etc. Is that no longer the case? My membership lapsed due to sloppiness on my end, I suppose you would gladly allow me to re-up at the meet?

hobbsed

New User
Ed
Mark,

You can be my guest.

We do require pre-registration so send me your e-mail address and I will send you a meeting announcement/registration form.

Thanks Ed

CatButler

New User
Bryan
I walked by my home made electrolysis setup yesterday and it called out "Feed me tools". That reminded me to send in my registration. I'm looking forward to it.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just want to thanks Ed Hobbs, his wonderful wife, and all the other worker bees who put that event together. It was a great time even in 100 degree heat. I heard over 300 people attended. I was one of the 70 + first timers. I will be back again next year, Yes I went home with my wallet a bit lighter then when I got there. NCWW was well represented there. I do not want to attempt to list everyone for fear of missing someone but besides Ed, I want to mention a special thanks to:
-Bill Anderson for working/demo with a blacksmith on the hottest day of the year
-Rob Payne for helping to create and demo a most touching tribute to our late friend Ozzie-X.

Thanks

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
+1 on that Scott - very well said ...

I just want to thanks Ed Hobbs, his wonderful wife, and all the other worker bees who put that event together. It was a great time even in 100 degree heat. I heard over 300 people attended. I was one of the 70 + first timers. I will be back again next year, Yes I went home with my wallet a bit lighter then when I got there. North Carolina Woodworker was well represented there. I do not want to attempt to list everyone for fear of missing someone but besides Ed, I want to mention a special thanks to:
-Bill Anderson for working/demo with a blacksmith on the hottest day of the year
-Rob Payne for helping to create and demo a most touching tribute to our late friend Ozzie-X.

Thanks

CatButler

New User
Bryan
I left will a lighter wallet but a fuller belly. I always get distracted from what I am looking for when I go to these. I wanted a scrub plane and a good eggbeater drill. I ended up with 8" Yankee "Bell System" bit brace, a Union protractor and ruler, and set of dividers. All from the same vendor.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
+1 on what Scott said. Thanks Ed Hobbs and everyone involved. Like most everyone else, my wallet was a little lighter coming home. To paraphrase Bas on his signature line, "I didn't need it; I just wanted it." :gar-La; I certainly plan on attending next year, and I might even bring a little more cash (but don't tell my wife). :rotflm:

Bill

M

McRabbet

I made a promise to Randy Osborne during the last month of his life that his fellow woodworkers would complete the Walnut Cabinet that he started to house and display his amazing collection of rare Marsh Planes made in Rockford, Illinois between 1870 and 1920. Randy built a prototype to perfect the design and built the most complex pieces before his death in early June. Following up on our promise, Tim Merrill and I assembled the primary components and then fabricated the interior shelves and partitions and name plate. Tim used his Shop Bot for the carved diamond inlays, the name tags and the name plate. I built the walnut shelves and partitions and assembled the cabinet and nailed the name tags in place.

Here is the cabinet with its beautiful burls and quilted walnut veneers after I finished adding the name tags in Scott Smith's shop on Friday, June 23rd.

100_6136.jpg

View image in gallery

Scott Smith took the cabinet to Raleigh in his Excursion (so I didn't have to wrap it up to protect it from the elements) for the Mid-West Tool Collectors Meeting at Ed Hobb's Farm on July 24th. Here it is with all of the Marsh Collection in place. Note the fluted columns, the quilted walnut back panel and the distinctive bonnet top of the cabinet.

Here is a closer view of the smaller bench planes in the lower row and two of the three specialty planes on the upper shelf. Each bench plane was made in two versions by size -- a smooth sole plate and a corrugated sole plate. Randy's collection includes every model and version that Marsh made.

Here are the larger planes in the collection, starting with the hefty Marsh M6C, the M7 and M7C and the M8 and M8C Jointer Planes. At the right end of the cabinet are the SR4 and SR4C (upper) and the SR5 and SR5C (bottom). These are believed to be transition models between the Marsh name line and the "R" designate Rockford line of planes that Randy also collected. Note the inside of the beautiful end panels at the right and the incredible quilted walnut that Randy used in the back panel.

Here is the Sign that Tim Merrill carved to identify the collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors