Muni lathe advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
We are using two mini lathes at the school where I teach.
One is a Jet one is a Harbor Freight.
They seem close to identical and both share one "feature" I find to be a problem.
The combination of banjo and tool rest ends up too high to use a bowl gouge.
There are some work arounds but they come with problems of their own.

We are about to purchase a couple more lathes ( lots of interest from students) and I'd like to find a model that does not share that issue.
Any recommendations?

If such a lathe exists how likely is it realistic to think that I could retrofit the current two with banjos made for the new model?

Thanks

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Part of the issue is mini lathes are really for small spindle turnings between centers and never meant for bowl turning.

One obvious indication (of several) that mini lathes aren't for bowl turning is the min speed range. Most of those minis run at 600-750 RPM which is way too fast for any bowls and generally unsafe for an inexperienced turner to learn on.

Some of the "Midi" lathes are marketed to turn smaller bowls. Look at the Delta 46-460, the latest Jet Midi or Rikon Midi. You'll note that these lathes can turn at very low speeds of 50-100 RPM.

There are othe marked differences but the min speed is the most obvious.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have a Jet mini that sees little use since purchasing a 16 inch jet. I replaced the tool rest on the mini and on my 16 inch with a Robust tool rest. The steel bar is far superior to the standard cast tool rests that come with the lathes.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Thanks all- I'll look into reducing the height of the stock rests on the ones we have- via either grinder or the bar style rests from Packard.

As for the new machines, I'll check into midi's but budget may limit us to more mini's.

We do mostly spindle turning (tops, candle sticks and light sabers) but occasionally an older student is motivated to try a bowl.
Given the limited swing of these lathes I haven't found the lowest speeds to be a problem.
I just find the bowl gouge to be a user friendly all around utility tool for beginners.

I see where a 10" or 12" bowl blank traveling that fast would be an issue.
That's why I've done a VS conversion on one of my personal lathes.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
As far as a new lathe. For the Outreach project we've been very pleased with the one Penn State Industries sells. They seem like they will hold up better than the Nova's to the kind of use and abuse we give them which is similar to what would occur in a classroom situation. Not sure if the tool rest issue exists on those or not. We are mostly doing spindle turning (light sabers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS