MR MDF in the Triangle

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Hey y'all, new member here in Durham NC. I was hoping someone here could point me in the direction of some locally available moisture resistant MDF. I saw some old posts on here about where to get better MDF than lowes/HD, but I thnk they were all about ten years old.

Thanks!

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Thanks for the tip. Honestly I've not had great luck with Talberts. Great people over there for sure though.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I have never used MDF but will need it to build speaker cabinets in a few months. Is there a type or brand that's better suited for that?

This is what I'm shooting for:

1589210674636.png

All-MDF. Veneer of some kind on the sides and paint on front, back, top and bottom.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Why did you think that they were listening in? I just added that link so that you could call them or email them to ask about their MDF.

Haha oh. With the corporate member tag and the contact info, I thought you were a Talberts rep or something. Anyway, everyone I've dealt with at Talberts has been top notch. But the material has been really hit or miss.

I'll give them a call anyway. I've been particularly looking for a source for moisture resistant, which has been hard to find.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
moisture resistant MDF = MDO
O = Outdoor
Fitch Lumber & Hardware in Chapel Hill/ Carrboro carries it. Not cheap

Jeff

New User
Jeff
This, I know. I don't care too much for fir core anything.

That's fine, just buy regular MDF but it won't have the moisture resistance that you wanted. BTW, why did you want moisture resistant "MDF"? I don't think that it's available.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
That's fine, just buy regular MDF but it won't have the moisture resistance that you wanted. BTW, why did you want moisture resistant "MDF"? I don't think that it's available.

It's got all the upsides of MDF with fewer of the downsides. Paints really well, doesn't swell or bubble badly. It is available, but (seem like) not around the triangle. I could probably get it from a big commercial supplier, but was hoping someone might know of a lumber yard that carried it.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Capital City Lumber in Raleigh has MDO. Well, they did a long time ago. Probably still do. I got a couple of 4x8 sheets of MDO 7 to 8 years back. Painted a barn quilt. Paid special attention to edges, they got a few extra coats of paint. Quilt is still hanging and no swollen edges. MDO is used for outdoor signs. (I think)

Woodmolds

Tony
User
Search or ask for Extira. I have used it for signs when I did CNC sign work. I didn't do the purchasing, so I can't remember where it came from. It looked like a wax impregnated MDF. I had some , but I think I disposed of it. I'll check.

"Extira panels are a material that is unique in three ways:
1. Extira is a green panel product that resists moisture, rot and termite and offers excellent performance in exterior environments.
2. Extira panels can be used in any non-structural paint-grade EXTERIOR application. They also work well for high moisture interior environments.
3. Extira panels have a 5-year warranty, unprecedented in the product category.
Extira is user friendly; sanded two sides (S2S) for a smooth, unprimed surface, it resists moisture, rot and termites. Works with standard tools and practices; easy to handle, cut, machine and nail. Extira can also be sanded, routed, carved and laser engraved."

Link for above Extira Waterproof Panel (M.D.F) - Lancashire Distribution

Also here: Exterior Millwork - Termite Resistant - EXTIRA

Last edited:

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Bought lots of signs when I was doing graphic design. The material they used seemed to be an outdoor plywood with a laminate that looks like some sort of treated paper. very thin, but takes paint great.

Pop

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
I'm not sure if anyone is really interested in this (this is NCwoodworker, not NCwoodproductworker), but I did get some samples from a company called Arauco. Notice the lovely green core. I've not used this particular flavor before. The face is so smooth it has some sheen. Looks like there's a distributor in Raleigh called A&M Supply.
IMG_20200512_140447~2.jpg

IMG_20200512_140456~2.jpg

Woodmolds

Tony
User
This is pictures of what I used(the darker pc). It is 1" thick.
00IMG_1425.jpg
00IMG_1424.jpg

I'm willing to let you have it for free, if it will work for you. Pick up would be my shop, just off 220 North near the NC/VA border.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS