Moxon Vise - Carving Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I got the Moxon Vise kit from BenchCrafted.com and finally got around to building a combination vise / carving bench with the hardware. I think it came out rather well. With the hard maple it is very heavy and stable once clamped down to the regular workbench. It gives me an additional 5-1/2" of height so I don't have to stoop when cutting dovetails or carving standing up.

Here are some WIP and final pictures.

DSC_0422_800x532_.jpg

View image in gallery
I used my new 3' BowClamp cawl to glue the front fixed chop to the deck.

Some Parchment Paper (works better than waxed paper) to keep me from gluing it to the assembly table.

Leveling the top.

Laying out the grid of dog holes. Used a 3/4" up-cut spiral bit in the router to make the holes and finished with a large chamfer bit.

Then here are some pictures of the finished product in use with some Oil Varnish finish to protect it somewhat.

Now to get back to some other projects and maybe someday I'll finish that carving from the class so long ago.

- Ken.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Ken that is pretty sweet! Looks like a dovetail machine :). Good for vertical clamping and sawing. And the dog holes can be used with holdfasts when chopping waste.

Did you ever finish your Gamercy bow saw? I have started using it more and more for removing most of the waste in dovetails. I had a little learning curve but it has made me faster and more accurate. More accurate because I spend less time chopping so there is less of a chance of maiming the baseline.

Good luck!
Salem

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes I did finish the bow saw but I hadn't thought of using it for dovetails. I'll have to give that a try on the drawer for the maple wine cabinet I'm still building.

I finished the Cherry wine cabinet and took it to my niece's wedding reception in Indiana so they could see it. Then shipped it via UPS to San Diego where they live. Unfortunately UPS busted it up and we're still trying to get it repaired. Hopefully it'll work out. As they say if you want a happy ending it all depends where you stop the story. We're keeping this story going for now. I'll probably start a thread on the whole story once it gets to it's happy ending.

BTW, there's a picture of the bowsaw in the calendar contest pics. It didn't win but should be out there in the also ran's. It's also somewhere in my gallery and I think there was a thread somewhere, probably in this or the hand-tools category.

eyekode

New User
Salem
It took some practice to learn how to start the cut for cleaning out waste. And I am not an expert but when it works it significantly speeds up waste removal.
Good luck!
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS