Moving your workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Depending on your timing, you may want to coat your cast iron tools with something to prevent rust from moisture, sweat, etc.

This is good advice, I had professional movers do most of my last move, including machinery, there was a light drizzle on the day of loading and two days later there was alot of rust:BangHead:.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Having only moved from here to LA, LA to Okinawa, Okinawa to CA, CA to FL, and FL to here, and having moved SIL and nieces only three times since I got here, I do not have as much experience as some of you, but I can think of a couple tips:

1. Buy a couple boxes of cheap sandwich bags. Go through all your fastener organizer drawers, and dump each compartment into a separate bag (if the bin is labeled, throw label in the bag). If bag will fit back in tray, stick it there, but if not, just pack them in coffee cans, buckets, etc. This also works for the small catchall drwers in you tool box.

2. If moving tool box with tools inside, get some cheap foam to lay over the tools so that they are tight in the drawer when closed. Otherwise the tools WILL find a way out of the drawer down into the most inaccessible places in the box.

3. Blankets, pillows, bed linens and towels are great for packing around/inside fragile items like lamps, lamp shades. Old blankets make great furniture protectors to prevent tie-downs from chafing the finish.

4. Pour some fresh coffee grounds into a filter and tape it, or into a cloth bag, and place inside refrigerators and freezers after they have been thawed and emptied. (Clean socks will work in a pinch). It will keep odors from building up as they sit idle and closed.

5. Remove light bulbs from lamps, curios, etc..

6. Remove batteries from anything that may set a while after or during the move. Take cds or dvds out of the player.

7. Label both ends of all the connector cables to your stereo/home entertainment system as you remove them for easier reconnection after relocating. Masking tape and an ink pen or sharpie work well for this.

8. As for furniture, there are two methods. I personally prefer method one for short moves, as it makes items like dressers and chests of drawers much lighter and easier to grab on to.:

Method one: Drawers can be removed and reinstalled when loading and unloading. Fill the drawers with light items like clothing and linens, carry to vehicle individually and reinstall in furniture. Throw cover over furniture and strap or wrap lightly. Remove cover at destination and again carry drawers in separately.

Method two: Furniture shrink-wrapped to keep drawers secure. Empty all drawers.

9. Remove all shelves from adjustable-shelf furniture. Remove glass shelves from any furniture.

10. Large mirrors or glass panels should be stood vertical (on end or side) while moving. A good method is to load them into the vehicle where they will be sandwiched between two mattresses.

11. Do not pack books or magazines into anything larger than a 1 cube box.

12 In truck or trailer, heavy items go in first all the way to the front and tight against the front rail/bulkhead.

Last but not least: Make sure the spare tire, jack and lug-nut wrench are accessible after the vehicle is loaded. That means removing them from under the folded-down seat or floor compartment before you cover it with a ton of stuff.

Hope this helps someone.

Go

PS I forgot: Also tape all the fasteners for take-apart items to the item, or throw them all into one container labeled for what they are for and hope you don't lose that container!!.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Organize a "tool moving sale" for your fellow NCWW'ers. That will bring people in droves. Now you have all the help you need to load the heavy iron. :rolf:

novice99

New User
Mike
Having had to move the shop across country recently, I would recommend disassembling any/all protruding items: TS wings/fence rails, tool stands, knobs on jointer/planer/TS etc. Although it is more work taking things apart and putting back together, the ease of moving a "small " TS or planer and not having to replace knobs broken by sitting against the dolly more than makes up for it.

I would echo lots of small, labeled boxes for hand tools and hardware.

Never transport that nice cabinet with boxes or drawers for the different size hardware like it is, empty the bins into baggies then put the baggies into the bin--- TRUST ME on this one! :eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

Moving day is stressful enough, so little things done to avoid breaking things or people end up being really helpful.

Good Luck to you and your family!!!

medic

New User
john
one thing that I did on moving my shop is to try to clean up all my big things before moving them, that way I did not have a big mess to clean up at the other end . get plenty of help and organize as may tools togather as possible, use sturdy containers and don't stuff 50 pounds into a 25 pound bag unless you want to repack it again. (did that) and dont rush it

:kermit:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS