Moving Large Logs

FrankK

New User
Frank
I had taken down a rather large White Pine because it was leaning toward some electrical wires. Seems a shame to waste the wood, so I'd like to have it sawn into dimensional lumber for using in a future workshop. There are several sawmills here in Asheville that do custom sawing, but I can't figure out how to load them onto my simple 16 ft flatbed trailer. Any ideas? Or recommendations for someone who has a portable sawmill that would be able to saw them on site?
IMG-0248.jpg

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Good news is that you appear to have gravity on your side. You may be able to lay two planks down from the top of the bank to the trailer and use a reverse parbuckle to control the logs roll. Anchor your chains to the base of an uphill tree. The problem I see are the small trees blocking the furthest logs from rolling down to the trailer/drive. Be very careful and DO NOT get in between the logs and trailer.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Search the web for "Parbuckle Logs"
Is that the method you and Fred used a while back? (Using a strap to roll the logs up and onto the trailer). I copied that a few years ago to load some big oak logs onto a car hauling trailer. Worked like a charm. Thanks to you guys for the inspiration..

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Is that the method you and Fred used a while back? (Using a strap to roll the logs up and onto the trailer). I copied that a few years ago to load some big oak logs onto a car hauling trailer. Worked like a charm. Thanks to you guys for the inspiration..
That video used to be up here. Search red neck logging.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
You used to be able to go to Wood-Mizer site and get reference to local folks who could do the job. Don't know if that is still up. If you get one to come to your place, they should do the job very well.

Roy G

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Peavy, log hook or cant hook, 2 4-6"saplings smooth straight pipe or steel stakes, sledge hammer and a rope (maybe a pulley) and you can get all those on a truck or trailer easy. If it was up hill then you would need a winch or the truck to be the pulling power. Anyway, they are in a good place to move.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

Yes sir it was.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I have used a chain hoist many times to load logs into the back of my pickup. You just need to find a strong tree with a strong horizontal limb to attach the hoist to.

FrankK

New User
Frank
The Wood Mizer site was a great suggestion. There are 8-10 local sawyers to reach out to. I'm not too good of a redneck!

tandemsforus

John
User
I used Robert Carren in the Asheville area to mill some logs for me. His number is 828-319-7756. To get the logs to his place he had me call a tow truck company he works with, he has their number. They cable the logs onto their truck and take them to his mill. Worked great for me

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Did the OP have a coronary trying to man handle those big logs (hope not)? Haven't seen a reply since the original post.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS