Moving A Jet Air Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Well, for 10 months or so I've been waiting for promised help from several different folks to help me take down the Jet air cleaner (~75 lbs.) from the old shop and hang it in the new shop.
Tuesday evening Evan Williams and I decided we had waited long enough! Wednesday that sucker was coming down.:eusa_danc
Wednesday morning I started figuring how to lower it from the 7 foot ceiling in the old shop. It was mounted with the supplied tabs to 2, 2 by 4's and those were nailed to the tops of 2 exposed rafters. I grabbed every rope and tie down strap I own along with a couple of pulleys and quickly discover I am not a rigger!:no:

Finally I got so many straps wrapped around the unit that the cabinet was not visable, screwed an S hook into a roof truss, hung the pully on it and ran a rope through it. I tied the rope off and tested the S hook by swinging on the hope like Tarzan several times.:roll:
All's good so I tie the rope to the straps, remove the nails from the rafters and try to raise the unit so I could turn it to drop between the rafters. I discovered a 170# man can't raise 75 lbs. in this manner with a single 3" pulley!:BangHead::help:

So I grab my 12 volt winch and Husqvarna lawn tractor, bolt the winch to the floor and teach that cleaner who's boss. O.K., it's down with no damage to me or it.

To hang in the new shop with 9 foot ceiling I planned to use 4 eyebolts that came with the cleaner instead of the brackets used in the old shop. I managed to install 4 big manly screw-in S hooks in the ceiling without missing a rafter. Again I changed to my Tarzan outfit and swung on each one to test the strength.
Now to install the 4 eyebolts into the top of the cleaner. YEP, can't find the *&^%$ things!:BangHead:
After 2+ hours of searching I decided to run to HD and get new ones, checked the manual for size and find they are metric! Now around here there's a snowballs chance in a furnace of finding metric eyebolts, so I called Jet and ordered new ones, $8 plus $12 shipping!
So I'm prepared to wait several days. About an hour later I open a drawer for some wood screws and see waving up at me the plastic bag with the S hooks and chains that came with the air cleaner! I had looked in that drawer many times while searching for the dang things. I called Jet and cancelled the order, after being chastised severely by a lady for not recording the order number.:wsad:

Anywhoo, I eventually got the cleaner mounted with the winch and trusty Husqvarna.:icon_cheers:eusa_clap

Now, where's the remote that I see on a regular basis???:gar-La;
Yep, it's gone! I have now searched over 4 hours for the thing, it ran away.
I have one on order from Rockler. I do hope the original is happy playing with my favorite mallet that I haven't found since changing shops.:gar-Cr

DavidF

New User
David
Great job Ken, if only you had asked for help, we would all have come over...................

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Great job showing that cleaner who's boss Ken:icon_thum Now you know after you get that new remote you are going to find the old one right where you left it:gar-La;

timf67

New User
Tim
You're a heck of a lot smarter than me! I hung my JDS air cleaner by myself with no "rigging" :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:. I hope I never have to move it...:swoon:

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
No pics?????
Can't find the camera!

Found it!

Air_Cleaner.JPG

crokett

New User
David
Ken, I hung a Delta air cleaner that my brother is letting me borrow long-term. I screwed two hooks into the ceiling, put the chains on the cleaner and carried it up the ladder. It took 10 minutes. Of course the one I have only weighs 30lbs or so. Plus I am a manly man. :gar-La; Now all that is left to do is extend the circuit I cleverly wired for the air cleaner but not so cleverly put it above a shelf that sits over the entry doors and the outlet is now blocked by the stuff on the shelf.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Ken, I hung a Delta air cleaner that my brother is letting me borrow long-term. I screwed two hooks into the ceiling, put the chains on the cleaner and carried it up the ladder. It took 10 minutes. Of course the one I have only weighs 30lbs or so. Plus I am a manly man. :gar-La; Now all that is left to do is extend the circuit I cleverly wired for the air cleaner but not so cleverly put it above a shelf that sits over the entry doors and the outlet is now blocked by the stuff on the shelf.
Glad to see the power is about done David, you manly-man! ;-)
Yeah, I wussed out with the measley 75 pound Jet, all the weight is on one end making it awkward. A day after I finished I saw I should have removed the *&^% motor, hung the cleaner, remounted the motor. Oh well.....

Oh Bas, believe me my friend, that would not be a sight you would ever forget! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS