Mounting Triton Router (Another Raffle Prize Thread)

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Many thanks to all those organizing the raffle. I was really fortunate to win one of the Triton routers. In fact, this particular router has been on my wish list for some time now! About a month ago I gave a friend my old craftsman router table since it was taking up more floor space in the shop than i could justify. My thinking was to eventually get the triton and mount it in the wing of my table saw, since one of the Triton's features is it can be table mounted and acts like a router lift (the bit height can be adjusted through the router table insert with an included winder arm, and the collet can be raised above the table to change bits). I was happily surprised when I opened it that it also included an edge guide and circle cutting jig.

When I found out I actually WON (!!) it, I started prepping my table saw to mount it. Picked up some melamine from HD and watched a couple youtube videos from people that had mounted a router to their extension of my model table saw (Delta 36-725).

Removed the sheet metal wing extension, framed the melamine, and attached it to the existing screw holes, leveling it with the saw's table.
IMG_2923.jpeg
I bought the Kreg Precision Router Insert that's pre-drilled for the Triton and installed it in the melamine using the blue tape & superglue method to hold it in place.
IMG_2925.jpegIMG_2926.jpeg
Then drilled the corners with a 1-1/2" forstner bit, rough cut between the holes, then routed it with a flush trim bit to the frame. Installed the plate levelers and leveled the insert flush to the surface.
IMG_2927.jpegIMG_2928.jpeg

Picked up the router on Saturday (with an afternoon trip with my son to hike Pilot Mountain), and installed it that night. The lift mechanism works perfectly, and this thing is a beast compared to my other routers (a Craftsman, and the DeWalt trim router).
IMG_3063.jpegIMG_3064.jpeg

My next steps: I'll need to add some reinforcing ribs under the table to prevent the melamine from sagging over time, a fence that will attach to the table saw fence that will include dust collection, and some sort of dust collection for below the table.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Congratulations on winning, what model of Triton is it? I also have that model of Delta table saw, would you mind sharing the link to the video that helped you the most?

Were the winners of items notified directly of their prize(s)? I never heard anything concerning the raffles outside of posts like these on the site.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Congratulations on winning, what model of Triton is it? I also have that model of Delta table saw, would you mind sharing the link to the video that helped you the most?

Were the winners of items notified directly of their prize(s)? I never heard anything concerning the raffles outside of posts like these on the site.

It's the Triton TRA001. Amazon Link. They have a similar one called the MOF001, which is a little smaller and costs a little less. But the price difference isn't that much that if I were to have bought it, I would've gone with the TRA001 over the MOF001.

Raffle winners were emailed the day of the raffle, as well as this post here showing all the winning ticket numbers.

The video I went off of was this one. Wasn't so much of a step-by-step build video, but an explanation of how he built it and where he mounted it.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member

The drawing was held 9/19, and winners were notified via email. I also posted results of the drawing for public viewing later that evening.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I also have that model of Delta table saw
I've also modded that saw to improve the dust collection. Basically sealed all the openings - Aluminum tape for any small gaps, and large magnetic sheets to cover the channel for the existing dust exhaust port and the front tilt wheel. I mounted a 4" port on the bottom to connect to the dust collector. It has made a huge difference. I can feel the down draft with my hand over the blade (when the saw isn't on, of course!). Plus I don't have to clean up under the saw anymore. If you want to see some pics, let me know and I can take some later today.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have that same router mounted in a Rockler table. It works extremely well for that purpose. My intention is to purchase their Oscillating spindle sander and the Rockler Insert. This can replace an older Ryobi benchtop OSS And serve two functions in the same space.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I actually am on my 2nd Triton. I bought my first one in ‘08. They were both table mounted and have worked flawlessly. I had a part in lift mechanism break in the first one. Triton shipped me. areplacement free of charge within a week. I also have the OSS. Great products

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
I have installed two Tritons in router tables, one with the bigger TRA001 and another with the MOF001. Both had enough power to do everything I wanted. The smaller one was so quiet that I had to remind myself to turn it off. I used the Woodpeckers plate in both with a perfect fit on both.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Not the be a killjoy, but mine developed backlash in the gears and when the lock was released the collect dropped. Got so bad I had to take it out. Triton's response was "its the nature of the beast" & offered to send to repair shop. I declined to do that.

This is about a 8 yr old unit. Maybe they have solved that issue.

Be sure you remove the spring if you put in table.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Be sure you remove the spring if you put in table.

Yes, I did remove the spring. Was like opening one of those can of snakes party gags. :D

Good to know about your experience. I don't do a lot of router work, so I'm thinking this should last me a long time

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS