motor rotation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Hi folks! Pop needs some help. I bought 3 motors from WT Tool. The price was right. The problem is they only rotate clockwise. I designed a jackshaft to reverse the rotation. This rig saps power. Here is the question: if I rotate these motors 180[SUP]0 [/SUP]will the shaft rotate counter clockwise? Nothing will change but the orientation of the motor to the power tool. I found out that most power tools need a counter clockwise rotation.

Pop
:dontknow:

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
​No Jason, There is no way to reverse rotation by swapping supply wires. That's the reason I got these motors for $50 each. They were made for HVAC use.
I designed a jack shaft system to provide a counter clockwise rotation. The jack shaft design is simple, motor pulley to jack shaft pulley, jack shaft pulley to machine. The system saps power from the 3/4 hp. motors. My idea is if I turn the motor 180 degrees I will have a counter clockwise rotation.

Pop

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
draw a circle. put an arrow on it somewhere. turn the paper over. hold it up to a light. and you know.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
​No Jason, There is no way to reverse rotation by swapping supply wires. That's the reason I got these motors for $50 each. They were made for HVAC use.
I designed a jack shaft system to provide a counter clockwise rotation. The jack shaft design is simple, motor pulley to jack shaft pulley, jack shaft pulley to machine. The system saps power from the 3/4 hp. motors. My idea is if I turn the motor 180 degrees I will have a counter clockwise rotation.

Pop
If the motors are PSC (permanent split capacitor,) then they are reversible. These motors usually have a 2 - 5 MF run capacitor, externally connected to motor thru two brown leads. Because they are PSC, they don't have start switches. You remove the end bells, turn rotor around in case and reverse the end bells. These motors don't come with any kind of mounting plate, as they are held in by either bolts thru end bells, or and clamps. A picture would be worth a thousand words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS