Motor pulley issue

PhilCK

Phil
Corporate Member
Purchased a cheap Powermatic 26 shaper with 3 phase motor. Priced expecting to replace with 1 phase motor (turns out the spindle was bent and the spindle cartridge is too old to repair- another issue and more cost). Bought 3hp motor that frame fits the mounting plate but the motor shaft was 15/16", larger than the existing motor shaft and bore for motor pulley. Tried to drill out bore on stationary drill press but error in not centering drill and pulley is now unbalanced and useless.

Option of purchasing another pulley from Powermatic (or Grizzly clone) and having local machine shop to bore out to 15/16" if not correct bore. Any recommendations for shop and estimate as to how much?

Alternative of search for generic pulley of similar diameter and 15/16" bore. Recommendations for local source? Internet source?

- Phil

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Check with an industrial supplier (Grainger, MSC, etc.)...match the diameter and belt width to a stock pulley with the required hole size...shouldn't be a huge problem.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The 26 had two different style 2-step pulleys, one style was for a standard 1/2" wide belt, the other for a 7mm wide micro belt. Either are going to be hard to find. I've had to make the ones for the micro V belt before.

1 PM 26 - 1.jpg

Standard 1/2" belt pulley

1 PM 26 - 2.jpg

7 MM Micro V pulley

1 PM 26 - 3.jpg

Closeup of the 7 MM Micro V pulley

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Al Barbour at Barbour Machine in Apex (cell 919 801 3654) can help. Don't know about $. Tell him I recommended him.

Bob

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I just realized that the pulley in question was the motor pulley and I've posted photos of the spindle pulley. Duh!

1 PM 26 motor - 1.jpg

This is a model 25 shaper but the pulleys are the same. This is the 1/2" belt version.

1 PM 26 motor - 2.jpg

This is the best shot I've got of the motor pulley using the narrow little 7M710 belt.

PhilCK

Phil
Corporate Member
I just realized that the pulley in question was the motor pulley and I've posted photos of the spindle pulley. Duh!

View attachment 186101

This is a model 25 shaper but the pulleys are the same. This is the 1/2" belt version.

View attachment 186102

This is the best shot I've got of the motor pulley using the narrow little 7M710 belt.

I actually have both spindle pulleys- wide and narrow belt. As you say, I need the motor pulley. Called Grizzly and the pulley they sell is 7/8" bore. The 15/16" seems to be non-standard. Ironically, the 3hp motor that I got was for an older Grizzly table saw.

- Phil

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Phil,
I think Al could do either. Concerning the pulley, he would make it - he doesn't stock them. He is a very talented machinist and can make almost anything mehanical.

Bob

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors