Mother of neccessity Chisel Plane

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Needed a chisel plane today, but don't have one so I made a quickie version took me less than 30 min to do this. Not a lot of adjustment.

Basically I took my 2" chisel (this brand are my butcher chisels) drilled a hole in it. Attached to a piece of wood beveled to 12-12.5 deg and had a chisel plane.

The hardest part was drilling the chisel. But, since I have a set of carbide drill bits I could do it. Drilled 1/8 then 3/16 then 1/4 that took about 10 min to do.

The wood is cocobolo

Attachments

• chisel plane (1).jpg
    chisel plane (1).jpg
    8 MB · Views: 174
  • chisel plane (2).jpg
    chisel plane (2).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 177
  • chisel plane (3).jpg
    chisel plane (3).jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 171

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thanks Oka, I'd have never thought of doing it that way!
Next time I need a chisel plane, at least I'll have some idea on how to.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If you do not have a drill press and you do not have carbide drill bits this would be nearly imposible to drill.

The Chisels are Chrome Vanadium hardened steel. To drill any hardened metal you need to vise up the piece so it does not move. I usually place something like Paduk under the piece when vising it up. That way, when you are through you will feel the drilling change and see it. Get your drill press to the slowest speed between 55rpm-120rpm if possible. Strike a start divit where the hole will go, Usually the steel is so hard to do this you need a hardened punch and it needs to be hit with something forceful like a 3 lb hammer. Then, drill the pilot hole using almost no force keeping the hole clean. No lubricant, usually you drill hard material dry. Go slow and consistent. Once that is through, then to the next drill size up, each time 1/16 increments up in size. Never force a carbide bit or mill end, unless you like buying lots of them. They are brittle and will break under small to moderate force.

Surprisingly, the Chinese version of carbide drill bits are not bad, their HSS bits are mostly junk, not sure why that is. But, if you only use carbide bits infrequently, then they are ok to buy. I have some Bits from Czech that are pretty good, Brands from most North American, Japanese, Korean and European countries are pretty consistent purchase to purchase. That is NOT THE CASE with the Chinese stuff. BTW, that is why in our projects we never use pipe manufactured China, lack of QC.

Was the hole easy to drill? Was it hardened?

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
This was a hint in one of my woodworking magazines lately. It would take too long to find the magazine so I took a picture. I have other sharpeners but this one was handy and is probably the one I would use. No drilling required, no sawing required, easy setting.

Chisel Plane.jpg

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Needed a chisel plane today, but don't have one so I made a quickie version took me less than 30 min to do this. Not a lot of adjustment.

Basically I took my 2" chisel (this brand are my butcher chisels) drilled a hole in it. Attached to a piece of wood beveled to 12-12.5 deg and had a chisel plane.

The hardest part was drilling the chisel. But, since I have a set of carbide drill bits I could do it. Drilled 1/8 then 3/16 then 1/4 that took about 10 min to do.

The wood is cocobolo

Oka,
I don't understand what a chisel plane is necessary for. I know my woodworking is limited, but I've never needed one so far.
BTW I am jealous of the availability of "exotic" woods in your area.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Chiseling in a tight corner where it joins another piece of wood like a 90 deg joint, you glue a panel and there is a bit of excess glue or chaff that you want to get carefully, This just keeps the iron from digging in

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Wow. After reading your reply, I looked up chisel planes and then bull nose planes. I see what you mean. I've had the problem (yesterday actually) and didn't know there was a solution.
Thanks for your instruction.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS