Mother nature did most of this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
One hour project that will probably last only one year :lol:

treehouse.jpg

Spied the hollow limb on wood pile as I was watering plants. Plan to "install" in February and host two or three Bluebird nestings by August.

Total cost: 6 screws

Why Not?
Sapwood

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
Baby bluebirds nesting in your yard: priceless

Just had to say it.
If you get any birds take pictures. I need to setup a camera blind before next spring for the house in our backyard. Heck, maybe I should put in a camera "window" in it with cover.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Cloudancer,

Unless you live in a parking lot bluebirds are pretty easy to attract (nest). Just google a few websites for the best boxes for them and proper placement. They like to be 4-6 ft off ground with some open space around--not in the woods. They also prefer boxes designed just for them (about 1 1/2 inch entry with no perches). I only have one box, but get several nestings a year. Once they fledge, just clean out the box and wait for next "affair":cool:

Have fun!
Sapwood

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
Yah, we have a box about 5ft from the kitchen window. Unfortunatly we lost one nest of babies when a storm knocked over the house, but we did get one that made it too. One of these weekends I'm going to re-inforce the attachment (C-clamp I think) and maybe put a camera hole (w/ cover) in it so we can take pictures of the babies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sapwood, very nice use of otherwise useless wood. I'm sure the birds will really appreciate it. I have heard that there are certain size holes for certain types of birds, I don't know how the birds measure them? Dave:)

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
Looks like a marine varnish/shellac mix over an olive oil intial rub. My question is what spices if any did he include.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors