Mortises - Square or rounded corners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I generally make mortises on the drill press and then square up the corners with a chisel. It seems easier to round off the tenons rather than chopping out the mortice. Is there any reason the prefer one method over the other?

pete

Monty

New User
Monty
Round tenons should be just as strong. In fact, you can make loose tenons and use a jig like McRabbet made, which would be even easier. The only exception would be through mortises, which of course should be squared up because they show. For me, I have hollow chisel mortiser, so making square mortises is actually the easiest method.

Inflatable Screen Door

New User
David Maida
I think it's whatever is easy or works better for you. I have a mortiser and cut my tennons with a combination of the table saw and the radial arm saw. So for me everything comes out square. As long as they fit snug I don't think it matters if they are round or square.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I'm a loose tenon fan, since glue is stronger than wood and who will ever see your M & T in the finished product anyway!
Joe

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Very cool.
I went to woodsmith's website and they even have an on-line video showing how to set it up. I was going to buy the issue but it seems like you have to get a whole set for $30 I didn't see where you can buy just one issue. Anybody have a copy of Issue 147 I can get a peek at?

M

McRabbet

Pete: PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a pdf of the article plus a second one from American Woodworker.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS