Mortiser problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
My steel city mortising machine seems to be locking upon startup. The motor hums and will not spin. I have tried lubricating the area between the bit and the cutter, adjusting the depth of the bit inside the cutter etc. everything is free turning by hand

i purchased the unit used so I have no manuals. I have had it about 5 years and just recently started having the issue.

the problem seems to be very random. Sometimes when I then it on it works fine, the next time it has the issue. If I turn by hand a few rounds,turn of and on a few times eventually it works fine. This happens about 1 out of every 10 times using.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Re: Mortimer problem?

please reply with the model number and a photo of the motor would help.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member

2nd the bad capacitor. It's in the bulging cap on the motor. Remove the screws holding the cover, then carefully remove the capacitor from the cover, and disconnect the 2 wires that are attached to the capacitor. Take the capacitor to a motor repair place, and you should be able to get a new capacitor and get change back from a 10 dollar bill.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User

I had noticed it buzzing. In addition if I take off the metal shield and tap the capacitor with a screwdriver handle, the unit starts. I will need to check the model number this weekend. I am not sure if Steele City is still in business but it looks just like the one from Jet.

Do they sell these locally or do I need to order it online?

FYI, I hate spell correction. This system butchered my thread title. I turn it off on my cell phone and wish I could turn it off here.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill

Do they sell these locally or do I need to order it online?

If I'm not mistaking, there is a Grainger supply in your area. They will have what you need.

Also ANY electric/electronic/industrial supply store will have what you're looking for.

You shouldn't have any problems finding a cap locally.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
FYI, I hate spell correction. This system butchered my thread title. I turn it off on my cell phone and wish I could turn it off here.

If you edit your post and 'go advanced' you can correct the thread title. Then it will just look like everyone else spelled it wrong, except me, of course. :eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS