Mortise chisels? Narex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chgorugbyref

Jonathan
Corporate Member
I am looking to pick up a couple of mortise chisels and would prefer not to break the bank. I spotted the Narex mortise chisels on the Lee Valley site and the Sorby plastic handle chisels at Highland and wonder if anyone has used them. Do they hold an edge? Are they comfortable to hold? Do you like them? Anyone have strong opinions? I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.
Jonathan

eyekode

New User
Salem
Jonathan,
I have a full set of the Narex. They took surprisingly little setup. And most of them held a great edge from the start (one I had to grind a tad back to reach better steel). I wholeheartedly recommend them. The only thing I would trade them for is Ray Iles.
Salem

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
+1 for the Narex. I have a set and have been quite pleased with them. Handles are comfortable -I like the feel of the wood handles rather than the plastic ones. They did need a little setup: lapping, grinding, honing but have help their edge well ever since. I have not tried the others you mentioned though.

Sam

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I don't know if this applies to the Mortise chisels but they have different lines of Bench Chisels made for Highland, Lee Valley and Garrett Wade. They have consistently gotten good reviews and "Best Buy" nods. Lee Valley's price is amazing for a product NOT made in China or India.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Jonathan,
I have a full set of the Narex. They took surprisingly little setup. And most of them held a great edge from the start (one I had to grind a tad back to reach better steel). I wholeheartedly recommend them. The only thing I would trade them for is Ray Iles.
Salem

Same here...cheap and sufficient.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 for the Narex. I can't seem to find the video I once saw from the manufacturer about why they can make them so inexpensively. Something about a new process for the steel. Wish I could find that again.

I have both their Mortise and Bench Chisels and couldn't be happier. Bought from Lee Valley.

- Ken.

bwat

New User
Bill
+1 on great value. Highland Hardware occassionally has them on sale too. Can't go wrong with these IMO.:icon_thum

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
+1 for the Narex. I can't seem to find the video I once saw from the manufacturer about why they can make them so inexpensively. Something about a new process for the steel. Wish I could find that again.

I have both their Mortise and Bench Chisels and couldn't be happier. Bought from Lee Valley.

- Ken.

Is this the one? He goes into the use of molten salt to temper the steel:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF4CzzQaZDo[/YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF4CzzQaZDo

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes, that is the video I saw that explained the process they use to make them which makes them inexpensive but still high quality. Some thought and engineering obviously went into that process.

Thanks for finding and posting that. I think it does a good job of explaining things.

- Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS