Mortise and tenons?

Trey1984

Trey
User
I'm building a jewelery box that has 3 drawers on one side and frame and panel door on the other side. The styles and rails are purple heart and panel will be ambrosia maple. I've got my drawers fitted and just about finished and started on making the door and the styles and rails didn't line up good at all. I used a hollow chisel mortiser for the mortises and dado stack for the tenons. The rails around 6 inches and styles around 3 inches ( shoulder to shoulder). With it being so small does that make it harder and any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated. Trying to get completed by Valentine's. Also going to order hinges today. Do I need to wait to get them before building the door and any recommendations on hinges would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sorry took so long to get on here. Maybe you can notice how they are twisted and not lining up at top. Jimd I think I might do what you said and glue done wood in the tenons and recut and fit them and clean my mortises up better because if I do to much more there going to be easy to sloppy. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20230117_180016344_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20230117_180016344_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20230117_180007703_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20230117_180007703_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20221231_222306507_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221231_222306507_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20230125_074307764.jpg
    IMG_20230125_074307764.jpg
    805.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20230125_074257845.jpg
    IMG_20230125_074257845.jpg
    780.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20230125_074246976.jpg
    IMG_20230125_074246976.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20230125_074235555.jpg
    IMG_20230125_074235555.jpg
    908.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20230125_074222020.jpg
    IMG_20230125_074222020.jpg
    817.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Hey Trey - This looks like a wonderful piece - certainly more ambitious than I have tried (i.e. I've not done drawers like that).
It hard to diagnose without more detail from you on the comment "started on making the door and the styles and rails didn't line up good at all". Can you elaborate on exactly what you mean? Can you dry fit the frame and take pics of the misfit? Are you saying it does not fit into the frame, or that the frame itself doesn't line up (the latter is what I suspect you mean).

And yes you should (always?) have the hardware on hand before you start. Knowing the style of hinge may determine some aspects (dimensions) of the door or case.

Eager to see your progress here.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I think you mean that the stile or rail is proud of the other piece - sticking out a small fraction of an inch. That is something that happens sometimes, normally when you try to put the mortise in the exact center and then nibble the tenons from both sides so it is centered. I suspect the mortise is a little off center.

Assuming this is the issue, for a small difference, I just put the door together and sand off the proud part after glueup. This is best if the difference is very small, something on the order of 1/64th or less. If it is bigger, then you can glue a thin piece of scrap onto the tenon and cut it offset to match the mortise. If you cut with a dado stack nibbling off the extra material you will have to adjust height of the saw to get the shoulder on one side wider than the other.

I agree that your drawers have good looking dovetails and I also like your choices for wood. I would use simple butt hinges on the doors.

Trey1984

Trey
User
I'm building a jewelery box that has 3 drawers on one side and frame and panel door on the other side. The styles and rails are purple heart and panel will be ambrosia maple. I've got my drawers fitted and just about finished and started on making the door and the styles and rails didn't line up good at all. I used a hollow chisel mortiser for the mortises and dado stack for the tenons. The rails around 6 inches and styles around 3 inches ( shoulder to shoulder). With it being so small does that make it harder and any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated. Trying to get completed by Valentine's. Also going to order hinges today. Do I need to wait to get them before building the door and any recommendations on hinges would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sorry took so long to get on here. Maybe you can notice how they are twisted and not lining up at top. Jimd I think I might do what you said and glue done wood in the tenons and recut and fit them and clean my mortises up better because if I do to much more there going to be easy to sloppy. Thanks
Hate autofill smh

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looks like you just need to spend a little more time on a precise and careful layout of the mortise and tenon joints.
Your cutting and fitting skills are superior otherwise.

Trey1984

Trey
User
This was my first time with mortise and tenon which I watched a bunch of videos and read many articles to get me on the right path. I'm more of hands on kind of person though. So hopefully with some more projects I can dial in my layout and everything else at that. Thanks

Trey1984

Trey
User
I think you mean that the stile or rail is proud of the other piece - sticking out a small fraction of an inch. That is something that happens sometimes, normally when you try to put the mortise in the exact center and then nibble the tenons from both sides so it is centered. I suspect the mortise is a little off center.

Assuming this is the issue, for a small difference, I just put the door together and sand off the proud part after glueup. This is best if the difference is very small, something on the order of 1/64th or less. If it is bigger, then you can glue a thin piece of scrap onto the tenon and cut it offset to match the mortise. If you cut with a dado stack nibbling off the extra material you will have to adjust height of the saw to get the shoulder on one side wider than the other.

I agree that your drawers have good looking dovetails and I also like your choices for wood. I would use simple butt hinges on the doors.
Just got back in and didn't have to glue anything on the tenons. Did some more chisel work and got it worked out.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors