Morris chair = WIP failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeeter

New User
Charles
A few weeks ago, my recliner started acting up on me. The foot rest started hanging up. I decided to build myself a new chair. Since most of my furniture is Mission/arts-and-craft style, I decided to build a Morris chair with curved arms. I have always wanted to bend and laminate wood for a project so this was the obvious choice.

First, I made a bending jig from some scrap plywood and MFD.

Next I resawed the wood to 3/16, sanded, glued and clamped my lamination to the jig, with wax paper between jig and wood.

Each arm cured for 24 hours. While this was happening, I laid out all joints for mortise & tennons.

Cutting joints was next.

Now the arms have dried and are ready to be edged and sanded.

So now is the time for a dry fit. Put everything together on one side of chair and clamped in place. I propped the clamped side up against my old plastic garage chair and noticed how low the new chair was. I don't usually use plans on my projects, so I guess I was paying too much attention to the measurements and not enough to what the chair looked like. I knew this low bottom would not work with my bad knees, so I rebuilt everything but the arms. making the chair bottom higher. This is where I forgot about the WIP photos and just went on with the chair. (I get distracted easily.)

Chair is at upholsterers having the cushions made. I'll post picture of finished product when it comes back.

Last edited:

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Just an FYI, it is very easy to insert photos into a post using the "My Photos" button (looks vaguely like a camera) in the editor toolbar. To select a photo from your gallery for insertion, just click on the photo(s) you wish to have inserted.

As your gallery grows in size, organizing your gallery into topic-oriented Albums helps to further facilitate navigation of your gallery and prevents it from growing to unwieldly proportions.

I'm sorry to hear your attempt failed, but I'm sure you have learned quite a lot from this failure that will help to make your next attempt that much more successful.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Great, thanks! Now where is the editor toolbar???

When you click the Reply button or you start a new thread you are typically taken to one of two editors: Either the Quick Reply Editor (limited feature set) or the Advanced Editor (full feature set).

In each of these two editors, there is one or more bars (or ribbons as they are sometimes called these days) with a series of icons/buttons (such as 'B' for bold, 'I' for italics, a Smiley Face for the emoticons, etc.) This bar of buttons is the toolbar and it is on this toolbar that you will find a button that looks vaguely like a digital camera (toward the right-hand side) and if you hover your mouse pointer over it for just a moment, a tooltip text will momentarily popup that reads "My Photos".

If, for some reason, you do not see such a toolbar, then it is likely that you altered your default settings when you first setup your account (or at a later date when making other changes). To fix this you will need to click on the "Settings" link in the top right-hand corner of your screen/page (any screen). Next scroll down through the left-hand Sidebar menu until you find the section titled "My Account" and then click on the option/link titled "General Settings". Now scroll to just beyond the half-way point of this new page until you find the section titled "Miscellaneous Options" and look for the sub-item titled "Message Editor Interface". The preferred setting for this option is "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing". Make certain this option is the one selected. When finished reviewing and making changes, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the "Save Changes" button to commit your changes (changes do not take effect until you click the "Save Changes" button!). Now try inserting photos into your post and see what happens.

Either of the other two (editor) choices results in a much more stripped down editor when creating and/or replying to threads and lacks many of the features that make this site more enjoyable/usable. You should only use either of the other two options if for some reason the preferred (and default) option causes serious usability problems with your web browser (which it should not).

I hope this helps, please let me know if you still have difficulty locating your toolbar.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Ethan, thanks for taking time to explain to a "computer challenged" member. I really appreciate the info. I will print it for reference next time.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Charles, this is not a WIP failed, it is the customizing stage. Everything looks OK, and there were no parts left over, so you must've done it right. :icon_thum

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would have had a thicker cushion made rather than do all that work over.

I commend you for doing it "right".

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Very very nice!! I built one very similar to that and it's soooooo comfortable.
Good job.

Tom Swortzel

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Looks excellent to me!

Bent laminations is something I haven't tried. You make it look like it is an easy process.

Looking forward to seeing the finished chair.

Thanks for sharing the detail Charles!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS