Morris chair legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty62

New User
Dick
I cut out and glued up the QSWO legs for my Morris chair today. I'll never use this beautiful and expensive wood for this purpose again. I nearly cried as I glued the gorgeous flecks and rays to the INSIDE OF A CHAIR LEG! :gar-Cr Where it will NEVER be seen!:wsad: In the future I'll laminate some poplar and add 1/8" or 1/4" thick QSWO veneer for appearance.

Since I've never made a Morris chair before, I thought I would follow tradition, but what a waste and unnecessary expense. :5sigh:

Dick

eyekode

New User
Salem
Dick, I am not sure I understand. Are you making a 5 piece leg and the center piece is QS as well? I guess in that case the only place the center is seen is the through tenon in the arm?
Salem

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
Dick,

Generally, I make my Morris chair legs like Gustav Stickley did, but making a lamination of 3 boards, then capping the seams of that lamination with two thick veneers. So of the 5 boards I use, only one is "never seen". I just save the pieces with less figure on them to be used for that core piece.

I do understand how you feel about having ray flake where it won't be seen though..

Hope this helps,
Gregory

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
If you're building it for a lifetime (or as an heirloom), doing it the 'traditional' way will assure a longer lasting chair. Regardless of glue technology advances there's still a simple adage anyone that's salvaged furniture knows - the more wood and the less glue, the better the integrity and the longer the life expectancy.

See, there is a silver lining on that cloud. You may not get to see the silver lining but who builds furniture for themselves anyway? You're building it for your kids or their kids and so on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS