Morning view

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ok guys, you have to understand that some of these newer flooring products are not designed to be trapped under cabinets and need more room for expansion and contraction. Now I do not like the legs on these tables to be wrapped with shoe molding but the builder dose. It’s his house not mine so it’s his call end of discussion. You can do it any way you want on your projects and I will never criticize if it’s your call or not. Life’s to short to get hung up on details that in the grand scheme of things don’t amount to a hill of beans.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Ok guys, you have to understand that some of these newer flooring products are not designed to be trapped under cabinets and need more room for expansion and contraction. Now I do not like the legs on these tables to be wrapped with shoe molding but the builder dose. It’s his house not mine so it’s his call end of discussion. You can do it any way you want on your projects and I will never criticize if it’s your call or not. Life’s to short to get hung up on details that in the grand scheme of things don’t amount to a hill of beans.
I wasnt criticizing your work Richard and I know its not your decision, but it gets to the quality of the end product for me, home building aint what it used to be, yet it costs so much more.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I wasnt criticizing your work Richard and I know its not your decision, but it gets to the quality of the end product for me, home building aint what it used to be, yet it costs so much more.
Nice install for a one man job!!!

Were the cabs delivered to the home and who supplied?

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice install for a one man job!!!

Were the cabs delivered to the home and who supplied?
I just curious, would it have been better with more people? ;) The cabinets are delivered I’m not into or interested in being a delivery service. The cabinet manufacturer is Marsh Cabinets. They are a 114 year old cabinet manufacturing company that is privately own. They are manufactured in High Point NC. Up until the virus they could take an order and deliver in two weeks, now they are at four weeks. This product is a good upper mid range price point. I have put these cabinets in homes ranging from 150,000 to 2million dollars. The project I’m working this week is a large remodel and the home is in the range of about 1.5 million. I’m working on a project off and on right now that is a 15 million dollar home that has some of the Marsh product in it. The rest of the product I will be installing is from a custom manufacturer out of the mid-west. I have never work with their product line so ill fined out if the are worth the hype. I hope they are because this is a make or break deal for the designer and myself,

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I just curious, would it have been better with more people? ;) The cabinets are delivered I’m not into or interested in being a delivery service. The cabinet manufacturer is Marsh Cabinets. They are a 114 year old cabinet manufacturing company that is privately own. They are manufactured in High Point NC. Up until the virus they could take an order and deliver in two weeks, now they are at four weeks. This product is a good upper mid range price point. I have put these cabinets in homes ranging from 150,000 to 2million dollars. The project I’m working this week is a large remodel and the home is in the range of about 1.5 million. I’m working on a project off and on right now that is a 15 million dollar home that has some of the Marsh product in it. The rest of the product I will be installing is from a custom manufacturer out of the mid-west. I have never work with their product line so ill fined out if the are worth the hype. I hope they are because this is a make or break deal for the designer and myself,
Meant as a complement, those are some big boxes to handle. Good information, thanks.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Meant as a complement, those are some big boxes to handle. Good information, thanks.
I’ve been handling these things for a long time, it’s not always about strength, sometimes it’s technic.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I took a few minutes to think about this one. I’ve been doing this in various capacities, from tradesman to superintendent to sales rep and back again. Now I get that you have an opinion on this subject and I don’t totally disagree. But I ate dinner and what You stated in multiple places kind of stuck with me. I work with many builders with many different ideas about how to do things. They all are working to an end and that is a product that will sale at a price point and to have a happy customer. I put the same level of workmanship into every job. Now with all that said, I also have worked on houses of the ages going back to the turn of the twentieth century and throughout many decades. The amount of times that I have torn out cabinets in the kitchen and baths that did not have flooring underneath is close to 50%. The amount of times that I have removed vanities on a mud set floor to fine the cabinet is setting on 2x4s with a cavity under them is closer to 80%. So I guess when I hear such strong opinions about how building isn’t what it used to be, I kinda shake my head and think about all I’ve seen and done. It really is the same, the products and the names have changed but they really are the same.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I took a few minutes to think about this one. I’ve been doing this in various capacities, from tradesman to superintendent to sales rep and back again. Now I get that you have an opinion on this subject and I don’t totally disagree. But I ate dinner and what You stated in multiple places kind of stuck with me. I work with many builders with many different ideas about how to do things. They all are working to an end and that is a product that will sale at a price point and to have a happy customer. I put the same level of workmanship into every job. Now with all that said, I also have worked on houses of the ages going back to the turn of the twentieth century and throughout many decades. The amount of times that I have torn out cabinets in the kitchen and baths that did not have flooring underneath is close to 50%. The amount of times that I have removed vanities on a mud set floor to fine the cabinet is setting on 2x4s with a cavity under them is closer to 80%. So I guess when I hear such strong opinions about how building isn’t what it used to be, I kinda shake my head and think about all I’ve seen and done. It really is the same, the products and the names have changed but they really are the same.
I do mostly fill-ins, where the size or shape, or nature is not what the standard manufacturers can supply. 90% of those I do for cabinet companies. Sometimes a number of custom cabinets are involved. I do not install, they pick-up and have their own installers. But in this, I visit many of the homes where my work goes.

So far, everything I have done goes in before the floor, they are spaced to the floor thickness. Then comes the granite installers, appliance installers and finally the cabinet installer goes back to touch-up where the former folks scratched the cabinets. Seems to be the way builders do things. Once the granite is installed, there are very few consumers who will notice the difference between a $250 box and a $600 box. So, the builders go as fast and as cheap as they can get away with.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
the builders go as fast and as cheap as they can get away with. Absafreaking right, I alsao have seen things I wood rather forget but once seen cannot be un seen

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors