More vacuum press info needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
So I pressed my first tabletop tonight. Everything went well for the most part. My main question is in regards to glue squeeze out. My set-up is melamine bottom platen, veneered tabletop then breather mesh. After pressing for about an hour I pulled the panel and all looks pretty good except there is glue squeeze out all over the veneer faces (face/backer) as it went right through the veneers. My question is, should I try and get most of this off now while it is still wet or let it dry and sand it off? Also there is glue inside the bag and all over the breather mesh. What is the best way to deal with this? Did I miss something or is this all normal to vacuum press work?

Thanks!

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
What kind of veneer are you pressing? Burl is notorious for bleeding glue. If you are getting that much glue squeeze out, I would think you might be over doing the amount of glue you are using. I normally roll out a even layer of glue on the substrate and then put the veneer in place, tape to help prevent shifting and then put it in the bag. Also, what kind of glue are you using? I have used the cold press glue that Joe Woodworker sells with pretty good success. No affiliation, just satisfied user. Now as for the problem at hand, you can try and wipe some of the glue off but don't remove the top from the bag until it has had time to set up. Removal prior to that may jepordize the bond and you will end up with a mess. Instead of trying to sand it all off, sharpen up a card scraper and go easy. What you don't want is to ruin the veneer trying to get the glue off.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Mike

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Quilted bubinga and cold press from Joewoodworker. Maybe I did overdo the glue. Lesson learned. So what you're saying is that under normal conditions bleeding is minimal? I guess I'll let it dry overnight and scrape it in the morning. Not too concerned with the non-show side obviously...Thanks!

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Quilted bubinga and cold press from Joewoodworker. Maybe I did overdo the glue. Lesson learned. So what you're saying is that under normal conditions bleeding is minimal? I guess I'll let it dry overnight and scrape it in the morning. Not too concerned with the non-show side obviously...Thanks!

Yes, under normal conditions, bleeding is minimal. I have done several pieces using the bag and the same glue you used. I have had a couple of instances where some glue did extrude to the surface but nothing that couldn't be cleaned up with a sharp scraper. I think Joe has a bit of a tutorial on glue application somewhere on his site. I faintly remember someone somewhere stated that you should be able to write your name in pencil and after applying the glue you should be able to read your name through the glue. To me that means a nice even thin coat of glue. Are you using a roller to apply the glue? I use the ones he sells on his site. Just make sure to clean it soon after use and you will be able to get many uses out of it.

Mike

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I did use the roller but must have used a bit to much glue. I also noticed a few very small bubbles. Is cold press the type of glue that you can iron to reactivate? Thanks!

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Peter,

I have used an iron to stick down some edges that didn't for whatever reason hold. I have never had any blisters so I can't speak to that. I would think that a small pin could be used to make an exit hole for the air to escape, otherwise iron or not, it isn't going to go away. HTH

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS