More messed up fun!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
This time Kohler. Bought an expensive 66 inch soaking tub. Framed the alcove exactly as Kohler instructions. Guess what? The tub is LONGER.
Careful inspection shows they did not trim the top flange evenly or to the correct length, so I get to get the belt sander out and make an incredible mess. If trimmed correctly, it will fit. This is made in USA, so no blaming "Chindia" quality. This should have been CNC or by a template. Bad Kohler, bad dog.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
And customers wonder why I refuse to cut out for appliances or for farm sinks without them being on site. Because I have been bitten by that more than once over forty years.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
And customers wonder why I refuse to cut out for appliances or for farm sinks without them being on site. Because I have been bitten by that more than once over fourth years.
Several years ago. We supplied the counter top people with our (new still in box) farm sink and they measured the installed cabinets.
The day the installer shows up. He is telling us the sink hole is cut wrong and he will need to reschedule.

Whom ever cut the sink hole. Cut the hole for a drop in; not a farm sink.
They realized it was their mistake and everything was fixed at no cost to us.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Never rough in Anything without measuring the actual item 1st. Often, the factory callouts are usually bigger than need be resulting in having to shim or add backer to best finish out the surrounding walls/cabinets, etc.
Like Richard said, otherwise you end up getting "bit" for the pleasure of installing

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
So, one more detail that may help some one else.
After the re-plumb, my hot water was not very hot. No error codes on the unit.
So I called a dealer and they came out. Long story short, one of the new Delta valves I roughed in did not have the mixing stopper in it. Only the cap. Now this thing ( white plug) was in the box, but not on the parts diagram and no mention in the instructions. So, out the cartridges in and now hot water. I did have the coils flushed they raised the temp limit a little, lowered the flow sensor a little, and in all, I got something for the $425 Delta cost me.

Tub is set. Now to connect the drain and move on to the shower pan. At least the VIM pan is a "cut to fit", says so, gives instructions ( if you search on Y-tube, not printed or included) Oh yea, when installing the drain kit on the tub, the nut attaching it to the overflow sticks out a little past flush making sliding it in connected impossible. Fortunately, the end wall is a closet not yet sheet-rocked ( wall had to move for the longer tub) . A lot of frustration could be prevented by just taking a little effort in the instructions. Back when I was in industry, we had novices, and often secretaries, follow the procedures in out manuals to verify we had not missed something that was obvious to the engineers, but not to normal people. We knew engineers are not quite normal. :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS