More Glue Questions

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Glue is a mystery to me.
  • My wife needs to repair some ceramic figurines. She's been using 5-minute epoxy with mixed results. It seems to take longer than 5 minutes for the glue to set.
  • I need to glue a plastic meter bezel that cracked. It needs to hold really well. I could use epoxy, but see the item above.
  • While doing a repair, I needed to secure some axial capacitors to a circuit board. Out of curiosity, I used Shoe Goo. It worked extremely well.
  • Barge cement seems to be a useful adhesive, but I don't know where to use it. I used it on my metal mailbox numbers, and they're holding.
  • Is Testors model airplane glue good for plastic? I think it actually melts the plastic to "weld" the joint.
  • Super Glue, gel or regular, has never worked well for me.
What motivated this post is, I bought an air hose from Woodcraft. The hose connector (reverse threaded) will not tighten down on the hose. When it gets to the end of travel, it "strips" (actually just slips). I'm thinking about gluing it. At this point, I may try Shoe Goo unless someone has a better suggestion.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The threads in your air hose are most likely tapered, no amount of glue will hold that under pressure that the pump build up.

Best to replace the connector.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Mike, would Teflon tape work on the threads? I always use it on plumbing fittings to seal things up.

Roy G

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
FWIW, epoxy doesn't adhere to most plastics. Not a great thing if you're using it to repair a cracked meter bezel but a handy thing in a lot of situations.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Couple of things Super Glue (CA-glue) Buy spray accelerator, easier to work with medium thick instead of the watery thin, then once you have it glued and set up, then spray the accelerant and it will dry in one-2 sec. When using a speed drying agent realize it still will take up to 8 hours for full strength. So, you need to wait before using.
With ceramic, if you use CA glue, apply with a q-tip very thin on each edge that will be glued, the assemble and spray the accelerant. sometimes, you might want to treat each edge and let the glue dry, then glue them together as a second process (step).

With plastics in general, there are specific glues for each type and specific ways to glue them together. If you know the type of plastic, you can get the exact correct type you need.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS