More DC stuff, or How I Was Abducted By Aliens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I made some more progress on my dust collection setup.

First up, I installed the grilles that cover the air return holes. In keeping with the tradition that if anything can go wrong, it will, I discovered that whoever built the closet decided using a level was for wimps. :eusa_naug :eusa_naug That meant the stud was off just far enough I couldn't screw the right-hand grille without installing a spacer against the stud so the screw would actually catch on something. :BangHead: Of course, this is AFTER I've already primed and painted everything, so out come the brushes again.

cyclone_remote.jpg

View image in gallery

I also installed the DC controller on the outside of the closet. That actually went fairly smoothly, although I did have to disconnect the wires so I could run them through the wall. One of them I actually had to disconnect/ reconnect TWICE because I had forgotten to loop it over (instead of under) the DC stand first. These are the things you discover after you've hooked everything up, closed the cover, put up the tools and moved the ladder. :eusa_doh:But that's normal, I do that at least once on every project.

I also modified the filter setup. Normally, the filter sticks out about 6" beyond the mounting brackets. That's not a big deal, unless you're in a confined space like a closet. I drilled two new holes in the bracket to move the filter closer to the stand. I added some long bolts to give me a little more room to angle the hose, since it's a tighter turn now. That meant buying a new piece of hose, but that was definitely worth the investment. Because now the closer door closes with a WHOLE QUARTER INCH TO SPARE! :eusa_danc

But I tell you, I must have been abducted by aliens on this project. I mean, NORMALLY, I'm a research kind of guy. I will download the manual and look at the specifications, consult every magazine, search the Interwebs, talk to people, browse reviews etc. before buying anything. But with this one, I completely missed the fact that the cyclone was 5" higher than my ceiling. :embaresse Duh. I also missed that the remote controller was infrared instead of radio-controlled, even though it says so explicitly in the manual. I had not planned to put the DC remote receiver on the outside of the closet, but infrared doesn't work with the door closed :roll: :roll: . Had I known that, I would have put the outlet on the other side of the closet too, so that the wires don't run back and forth. I mean, it's not bad the way it is, but I'm anal about such things. I also made the boneheaded mistake of ordering 7" hose for the filter modification instead of 8" hose. Why? Because I looked in the manual and it said 7"...for the W1810 model, not the W1809 model. Normally, I would have checked the manual AND measured the actual hose. And not CUT the 7" hose before holding it against the DC outlet and noticing it doesn't fit.

So there you have it. Irrefutable proof I've been abducted by aliens and that I now have drain bamage. Also, for some reason, I seem to have developed a Dutch accent. It's ALIENS!

DWSmith

New User
David
One more thing you didn't plan on.

The bracket holding the filter is very weak at the top. After a little use, it will bend and allow the filter to sag.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Bas,

Had you wished, you could have installed a simple IR repeater (either commercially made or homemade) -- or simply extended the original IR receiver (typically 2-4 wires) in the DC -- and saved yourself the trouble of running all the cords back and forth through the wall.

As for the rest -- just imagine the hours of fun you will have come your next move! j/k! Heck, I'd love to be there when the realtor tries to come up with an explanation for the small 'hump' in the ceiling! (It will probably be about as entertaining as someone trying to figure out what the red neon bulb in our laundry room is for -- it's a utility power indicator so that I know when power has been restored -- or the two wattage gauges next to the main load center in the same room -- which indicate generator load per leg.)

I'm just glad you finally have it all setup the way you want. Enjoy!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
As for the rest -- just imagine the hours of fun you will have come your next move! j/k! Heck, I'd love to be there when the realtor tries to come up with an explanation for the small 'hump' in the ceiling! (It will probably be about as entertaining as someone trying to figure out what the red neon bulb in our laundry room is for -- it's a utility power indicator so that I know when power has been restored -- or the two wattage gauges next to the main load center in the same room -- which indicate generator load per leg.)
:rolf: I should get one of those bulbs. Of course, I don't have a generator, but it's still useful after a power outage! :rolf: Granted, I could just use an existing ordinary light to verify this, but a neon bulb is much much cooler.

This also reminds me of the Weather Station I installed when I was in college. It was a piece of string handing on a hook outside. If it sways back and forth, it's windy, and if it gets wet, it's raining!

:)slap: :slap: ok ok, just blame the aliens already)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
What a bang-up professional looking job there, Bas!:icon_cheers

That joint will be such a showplace, you won't want to get it dirty.:gar-Bi

Don't burn yourself out on the shop build and have nothing left to leap into some great non-shop item projects.

Keep the pics coming. Very entertaining and a learning experience for many of us!:icon_thum

Wayne

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
:rolf: I should get one of those bulbs. Of course, I don't have a generator, but it's still useful after a power outage! :rolf: Granted, I could just use an existing ordinary light to verify this, but a neon bulb is much much cooler.

I had to add the neon indicator after adding a 15KW "portable" generator (the word portable is used loosely here, it weighs about 550-600 lbs with 16 gallons of fuel) after realizing that I had no other way (aside from asking the neighbors) when the power was restored.

Unlike many generator setups where the generator powers a few selected loads, I chose to go the route of a 200A transfer switch and inject the power before the house's original main load center (a new, small, load center was added outdoors and is integrated with the utility meter -- the only circuits on this exterior panel are the house and the neon indicator -- if you can imagine a 1/4W neon bulb with it's own 15A breaker). This allows me to distribute power however I wish simply by switching breakers on or off. The dual wattage meters assist in managing the load and allow me to determine when I am at risk of tripping the generator's breaker. It makes ice storms considerably more enjoyable than the alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors