Morbid Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Has anyone ever turned an urn? My neighbor across the cul-de-sac has throat cancer which has spread through out his body. Yesterday his wife told me he has about three weeks to live. He used to hang out with me when I was turning pens, and I actually helped him to turn a couple. He is going to be cremated and she wants me to turn an urn for his remains. I said it would be an honor, however I know nothing about what size inside the vessel should be. Should there be anything special done to the inside? I need to ask if she wants it sealed or threaded. Any help or info. on this project would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have not, but on one episode of the Woodturners workshop, they did a short segment that was a tip about using threaded lids recessed into the lid and the guy giving the tip was turning an urn. He made a good point about making sure it was tightly sealed yet accessible. It struck me as being a little cheesy to use what is usually a sewer clean out cover, but it's not like he dug it out of his yard. It was fully recessed in the urn and top and not visible when closed.

I am very sorry to hear about your neighbor.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
This may be of some help Charles. Assuming that human remains are treated the same as animals, the ashes are placed in plastic, so nothing needs to be done to the inside.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Charles,

I'm very sorry to hear about your neighbor. That is such a great gesture. I wish that I knew more about how to turn something like that, but I'm sure someone will chime in. From what I would guess, it seems that you would have to turn some kind of a hollow form with a wide opening and a lid? The only critical thing, I would think, would be the size. :eusa_thin Again, I'm so sorry to hear about that. He and his family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Trent

Barbara Gill

New User
Barbara
This topic has been discussed in detail on several other woodturning forums. There is even a formula for the correct size. I think a Google search will turn up more than you can imagine about turning an urn for cremains.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Charles,

You might check with a local funeral director or crematorium to see if there are any legal or regulatory requirements.

I'll keep you and your neighbors in my prayers.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Charles---------I did a box for that (cremation) purpose once. The Pastor that had it done told me the ashes from cremation was usually in a bag about the size of a 2 lb. bag of sugar. Hope that helps a little.

Sorry to hear about the coming loss. Hope things go as well as possible with everything .

Jerry

skeeter

New User
Charles
Thanks for the help and suggestions! The article on the threaded insert is great. I am going to try that. Thanks Jerry, I can relate to the bag of sugar.

My neighbor was from NYC. He really liked figured woods. I told him it was because of all the concrete trees he was used to. My largest blank is a highly figured Olivewood blank, which will be perfect, although not really tall. I'll have to go with a contrasting wood for the top

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
There are at least two Woodturners in the local guild (Woodturners Guild of NC) who are turning funeral urns. Call Frank Penta, who lives in Durham. His number is 919-218-2059. Also Alan Leland, phone 919-596-5628 in durham will know who these people are. I have forgotten their names.

Has anyone ever turned an urn? My neighbor across the cul-de-sac has throat cancer which has spread through out his body. Yesterday his wife told me he has about three weeks to live. He used to hang out with me when I was turning pens, and I actually helped him to turn a couple. He is going to be cremated and she wants me to turn an urn for his remains. I said it would be an honor, however I know nothing about what size inside the vessel should be. Should there be anything special done to the inside? I need to ask if she wants it sealed or threaded. Any help or info. on this project would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I am so sorry to hear about your friend.Nothing morbid about your question,just seems like someone trying to show your respect to a friend.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Charles,
Sorry to hear about your friend. Let me know if I can help with some wood for the top half. I've seen a bunch of dogwood sitting along the side of the roads lately on brush pick-up days. Let me know, Jim

NCTurner

New User
Gary
There is a formula to calculate volume of an urn, it is based on body weight. A very handy way to determine this volume is to use the same volume of rice to make sure that the urn will be large enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS