Moravian kockdown bench

Saal

New User
Gene
Here are pictures of the bench I just finished building. I made a face vise that attaches to the bench by means of two oak butterflies. It also supported underneath. It lifts out very nicely.

Attachments

• 20200907_134957.jpg
    20200907_134957.jpg
    653.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 20200907_135058.jpg
    20200907_135058.jpg
    732.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 20200907_135038.jpg
    20200907_135038.jpg
    706.7 KB · Views: 168

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Nicely done Gener.
More details on that face vise please; looks intriguing. Is the vise all shop-made or a commercial mechanism?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great job Gene, more info on the vise would be cool. Oh and welcome to the site!

Saal

New User
Gene
The face vise is all shop made except for the threaded rod. I used a 3/4" threaded rod only because that's what I had. An acme threaded rod would be better. The handle is a galvanized pipe tee. Drilled a hole thru the tee and rod and secured with a screw. As for the mechanism, I cut a hole that fits the nut. I then secured the nut with epoxy, the drilled a 1" hole in a piece of metal flat stock drilled mounting holes to affix it the back side of face of the vise. However, the best way is to weld the nut to the metal piece and then affix it.
On the back side of handle side of the vise I cut a 2 1/8 cavity to accept the nut that keeps the rod from sliding in and out. All of this may sound confusing so I will take it apart and post pictures. Hope this helps.

Saal

New User
Gene
Here are some pictures

Attachments

• 20200907_164244.jpg
    20200907_164244.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 112
  • 20200907_164410.jpg
    20200907_164410.jpg
    605.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 20200907_164427.jpg
    20200907_164427.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 20200907_164456.jpg
    20200907_164456.jpg
    554.6 KB · Views: 113

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Ok, first of all forgive me because I have never really considered how a vise is, or can be, assembled.
Let me see if I can write what I believe I understand, then you can correct me!

Pic 1. There is 1 nut used in the fixed or stationary side of the vise, correct? It is epoxied to a metal plate (although welding would be preferable), that is then screwed into the back side of the fixed portion of the vise.
Pic 2. THis is the front of the fixed portion (are they called chops?), showing the way the threaded rod and the pipe portions are aligned. The holes in the fixed portion allow the pipes to slide in and out as the moveable portion is adjusted.
Pic 3. The back of the moveable side also has a nut in place - but this is in a counter-sunk hole that allows the nut to spin with the threaded rod. It is counter sunk to allow the faces to close up and be in contact.
Pic 4 The moveable front side has the tee-flange and handle mounted, with the washer there to space it out and away from the flanges beside the handle; the front chop(?) has a hole drilled through it to allow the threaded rod through the front piece. Pic 4. The pipes on l and r of the threaded rod, which move with the front piece, are fixed to / mounted on the moveable piece with flanges that are screwed onto the front face.

Do I have it correct?

The butterfly mounting arrangement looks simple and effective. You mention in the OP that this vise is "also supported underneath" - care to elaborate so I can envision how I might implement?

Thanks for the description and ideas.

Besides the ACME threaded rod, any further hindsight?

Saal

New User
Gene
You are correct in every aspect. The guide rods are 1/2" galvanized pipe with flange threaded on and inserted I to the guide holes. I think it is an easy economical way to build it. I have made several this way and they work well. I generally use whatever scrap wood I have. BTW, the top of the bench is 8/4 ash.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Gene:
Thanks - 'I believe I gots it'

You mention in the OP that this vise is "also supported underneath" - care to elaborate so I can envision how I might implement?

Saal

New User
Gene
I cut a 2x4to match the angle of leg put it under the secured portion of the vise and screwed it to the leg. As you may or not know, the legs are cut on a 15 degree angle so the underneath support is cut on the same angle. This supports the vise if you are chopping a mortise. I frankly would never do that but someone might. With combination of the butterfly and the underneath support the vise doesn't go anywhere.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I cut a 2x4to match the angle of leg put it under the secured portion of the vise and screwed it to the leg. As you may or not know, the legs are cut on a 15 degree angle so the underneath support is cut on the same angle. This supports the vise if you are chopping a mortise. I frankly would never do that but someone might. With combination of the butterfly and the underneath support the vise doesn't go anywhere.
Thanks, makes sense.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS