Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Relatively new blade.
Unknown-21.jpeg
Unknown-22.jpeg
Unknown-23.jpeg

Seems the it was a 'cold' weld for about 60% of the length.

bainin

New User
bainin
I've had several Timberwolf blades do that as well. Upon sending them a pic of the break at weld, they replaced the blade for free...I guess thats the upside ?

=)

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
The wide blades make great scratch stocks and scrapers. You probably have a lifetime supply now.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
what size band saw? What is the blade thickness? I ask as there has been some discussion of the limits on a mere 14 inch saw and the wide blades.

Welds will be more brittle than the band. I wonder if brazing is a better technology?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
what size band saw? What is the blade thickness? I ask as there has been some discussion of the limits on a mere 14 inch saw and the wide blades.

Welds will be more brittle than the band. I wonder if brazing is a better technology?
If they are annealed correctly they won't be a problem.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Some answers.
I bought this blade from the old Woodcraft saw blades. Now under new management and new name.
The blade is 1".
The bandsaw is 18".
I'll have to measure the thickness.
It was a startle, but not in a 'soiling' kind of way. Maybe my startle factor is subdued compared to others.
When it broke, I knew immediately what had happened. The blade had been clicking the last couple of uses. I did inspect the blade before starting to prep some turning stock but didn't find the source of clicking. In the future when I hear that sound I'll check the weld more specifically.
Outside of 3-4 kinks, I have 113" of scratch stocks and scrapers. In fact, my thought was parting tools. I use a modified 1" hacksaw blade currently. I just have to figure out, where/how to store the broken blade.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS