Moen or Delta Shower control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I'm redoing one of our bathrooms. The shower leaked into the kitchen ceiling because the mortar bed drain was not installed correctly. Taking the mortar bed off the walls and floor was a bad job. But that is over and the new shower installed (4 piece fiberglass). The new shower control is also installed but that is where my question comes from.

My wife liked the look of a Moen shower control better than a similar Delta I preferred. I've done 3 other showers (two were actually tub showers) and I am pretty sure I used Delta on the previous 3. I had difficulty soldering the brass body in due to some combination of piping done wrong during a previous install, old flux, and worn out cleaning brush. I finally got it on the fifth try. But the cartridge had to be removed and installed 5 times to make that work. It was more difficult to get to go off but we thought we got it. But last Monday I came home to dripping water in the kitchen. The shower control turned itself on, filled up the shower base, and then it overflowed and leaked to the floor below. I had a piece of cardboard over the shower base while I finished the drywall above the fiberglass walls. Quite a mess. I called Moen and they sent a new cartridge. Removing the old one, the side seals were not in place properly which is probably the issue. The new cartridge went in Wednesday night and there has been no further issue. I also don't leave cardboard in the base, however, just to be safe. I should get to paint tomorrow so there won't be a need for the cardboard soon.

Anyway, one thing I really don't like about this Moen is there is not definitive handle position for OFF. The instructions do not tell you which way to rotate the stem so it is guess, turn the water on, then turn the stem until it goes off. Frustrating and unnecessary. I think I at least contributed to the cartridge issue but I also think you should be able to put it in and out a few times and it still work. Makes me wonder how it will hold up.

Anyway, anybody put in a Delta recently? Did it have a positive position for off? Any issues?

Skymaster

New User
Jack
they are both considered equals, Moen has one advantage over Delta if you are working back to back thru a wall, you can just reverse the cartridge and not have to reverse the plumbing. Other than that pick the prettiest. I cant believe there is no stop on the off position, probably some funky way to pull or push handle. If in doubt Delta,

Lowlander

New User
Chris
Moen controls and fixtures were installed previously , but after replacing the cartrige 3 times decided to go Delta. I used the 17 series trim with there universal rough in with shutoffs and pex fittings. The trim install dictated where the shutoff was. There was no keyed index for a positive stop, I recall it only being able to be installed two ways , right side up or upside down.
image.jpeg

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Delta, Delta, Delta! I've had Delta in my bathroom for over 25 years and have not replaced or repaired anything. My wife chose Moen two times for looks and after replacing those two (following problems) now has Delta for reliability.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
My house was built in 1974. I bought it in 1977. The shower controls in its 2 bathrooms are Delta. I've replaced springs and seats maybe 2 or 3 times in 40 years and a ball valve once. From what I've seen the new Deltas are built about the same. Deltas are good enough for me.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
There isn't a big difference between Moen and Delta. As a builder, I had better luck with Moen cartridges, but that is just an anecdotal comparison. You can buy shower valves that connect via PEX, if you don't want to have to break out the torch. They are available through commercial plumbing suppliers, not so much big box stores.

Pete

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I like Delta, but the last go-around I used a Hansgrohe valve and trim. Two years and no issues. It has a positive 'off' position, although no detent if that's what you're looking for.

The anti-siphon on the (Hansgrohe) hand sprayer is a Delta tho. Reviews said the Hansgrohe didn't last...

The couple of times I've called Delta for replacement valves for other tap sets its been easy.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors