Modern Workbench - starting a small business

Ir0nRaven

New User
David
Hello all!

I've been lurking here for a while but thought I'd post who I am. I've started a business named Modern Workbench (themodernworkbench.com) outside of Asheville, NC. Right now I'm making and selling pieces out of my house. Next spring (after I finish a 6 month stint with the Air Force Reserves), I'll open a commercial space. The goal of that space will be to teach classes and allow people to join as members and have access to a nicely equipped wood shop. This idea exists in Asheville in the River Arts District, but not in wood - only in pottery, painting, sculpting, etc.

A big challenge was liability insurance, but I managed to find that. Currently working on a small business loan, and will begin looking for a space at the end of this year.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome David. Thanks for your service and best of luck with your business venture. Keep us posted.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
...The goal of that space will be to teach classes and allow people to join as members and have access to a nicely equipped wood shop. This idea exists in Asheville in the River Arts District, but not in wood - only in pottery, painting, sculpting, etc.

A big challenge was liability insurance, but I managed to find that. Currently working on a small business loan, and will begin looking for a space at the end of this year.

We all love options - and it's good to see that there may be more (albeit in Asheville, a bit of a trip from Raleigh..). Best wishes on this venture!

'Maker Spaces' have popped up (and down) in several places - I believe (pre-Covid) the one in Greensboro was thriving(?), although the earlier one near RDU did not. The Craft Center at NCSU (not a profit oriented space) is of course a long time survivor. Doing homework on other places that thrive/survive in this 'space' might be good.

It seems to me (never actually a user of a multi-user maker space) that getting the policies 'right' is key. Maintenance, tuning and upkeep (repairs?) on machines is/was one issue that can make or break the life of as multi-user space (i.e. if the band saw is still out of order a week later and this is crucial to my project, that becomes an real issue).

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Welcome David, In N.C there are some storage places that offer a storage/office/shop combo space with power. Might be an option to look into. When going to a shop be realistic in overhead costs and figure that out accurately. That tells you what volume you need as goal for production. Everything else is actually easier IMHO than that... being honest with yourself and the market you are trying to address.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome David,
Thank you for your service!!!
I will be monitoring your progress - excited that someone is doing this in our area.
Signed-up for the updates...

Bill J

Bill
User
Welcome. Please post or PM me when you are operational. My sister lives in that area and has been looking for something exactly like what you are setting up!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS