Modern sideboard WIP....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I thought I'd post a picture of my latest project. It's a contemporary sideboard made of Sapele, my newest love. I'll be building some steel, 6" tall legs, similar to the legs from my last 2 tables... http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7810 .

sideboardWIP.jpg

The frames in the bottom will have sandblasted glass mounted in the stopped grooves. I still have to build two more drawers and mount all the drawer faces. From there it's just mount the sliders,euro hinges and drawer hardware. I'll probably try a similar finish as the tables so that everything will match. Oh, there will be a light mounted in each bottom drawer where the frosted glass panels are. This is definately the most ambitious project this noob has attempted so far! I'm pretty happy with the progress I've made in the last 4 months of WWing. Anyways, thanks for looking! :)

DavidF

New User
David
Looking good there Peter; we should get together sometime and discuss "European" design:lol:

RobD

New User
Rob
I love Sapele too. Its my first choice for an "exotic" type wood at the moment.

The sideboard looks great. Please post some pics when it is done.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Peter, that's looking great. I appreciate the WIP pics, and your liberal use of blue tape...I just can't live without it :lol: :lol:

I like your idea with the lights :icon_thum what kind are you using and how much clearance will they need to pass by the drawer frame when the drawers are opened?

Dave:)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
lookin good!:) BTW where did ya git the extra wide blue cabinet latches??????:rolf: another idea stolen!:roll: ya probly got some o that magic dust too huh?8-O well ya aint gittin none o my magic paper ... thats fer sher!:rolf: got it under lock and key after i was told dave o was plannin to hiest some of it. watch these guys theys tricky fellas round here.:rolf: love sepel. did my kitchen with that stuff.. turned out right nice. and its so easy to work with.:eusa_clap

fred p

Sabre2

New User
Sabre2
Very nice!! I'm looking forward to more WIP pictures and the finished sideboard. As others have said can't woodwork without woodworkers duct tape "the blue tape"

Gary

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Beautiful looking piece, Peter. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap You need to lose the "noob" thing. It just doesn't apply with your work.

You have a strong natural talent for design - frosted glass with lights, steel legs...good stuff.

You're really cranking out the work, too. Look out, Dave-O! :lol: :lol:

Whatcha got in mind for the finish?

Chuck

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Thanks for all the kind words all! Just finished working on the steel legs and applying a base coat of shellac. It's lookin pretty good. I should be able to finish by this weekend. I'll be topcoating the table top with Waterlox gloss and the carcasse and drawers with a satin varnish or perhaps shellac. I'll post more on the project after this weekend. Thanks!:)

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Your project looks great. Can you explain more about the sandblasted glass? I'm assuming it is tempered? The last time I bought tempered glass, the glass co. said that soon it would only come with the logo on it (bummer). I am dreading this day.

Amy

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Yes it is tempered. Basically your run of the mill 'frosted' glass. About 5/32" thick. Actually quite expensive. 2 pieces of glass about 13" x 9" are costing me $120! With hardware, wood, glass and metal this project is costing me ~$400. That doesn't include consumables of course. Dang, this is an expensive hobby! Oh well, this is my last project for a bit. With the nice weather I'll be spending more of my weekends kayaking and riding my motorcycle. The LOML looked at me like I was crazy all holed up in the basement this last weekend. It was really nice weather, or so I was told! The hours really seem to disappear when your in that WW 'zone'! :icon_thum

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Well she's getting there. Just need to put a couple of coats of Waterlox Gloss on the top. Waiting for the glass inserts, should be any day, then glue up the frames and mount the doors. The metal legs are nearly done, just a little more sanding then mounting to the sideboard. I'll then mount the lights in the cabinet and screw the side frames and top on. Should be done this weekend, I'll post the final pixs then. Thanks for looking....

SB2.jpg

SB1.jpg

SB3.jpg

M

McRabbet

Peter,

It is coming along beautifully! Great work -- I've been busy in my shop, too -- cutting loads of stock for a dining room project -- 10 raised panel and four 4-lite glass doors to make. I wish I had a Domino to make the mortises in the doors (much stronger than cope and stick), but I'm planning to do them with my small plunge router.

Rob

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Rob, you're welcome to use the Domi. Let me know. The sideboard is the last project for awhile. It's time to get in my kayak for some serious waterfun. I doubt I'll be doing much 'fine' WW for the next couple of months. Mostly just jigs and shop stuff.

dtomasch

New User
David
Peter..
Looks great!!! I love the sapele and iron. Soft/hard contrast is great. Keep up the great work, and, Really, enjoy this weather!!! See you soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors