Modern Shaker Side Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Hey Folks, just thought I'd share some pics of my latest project. This is a little side table I built for my Grandparents 60th wedding anniversary.

The plans/design are from Fine Woodworking (July 1989). I'd like to thank Rob (McRabbet) and Greg Smith for helping me locate the plans. I'd also like to thank Greg for lending me his original leg template and walking me through the build process before I started. I changed a few things from the original (wider leg splay) but kept the form the same.

The wood is some Walnut from Kyle. The finish is 2 coats danish oil followed by 3 coats wipe on poly

Enjoy!

modern_shaker_table_final_004.jpg

View image in gallery

skeeter

New User
Charles
Very nice work. The table turned out great. I like the legs. Your grandparents should be very proud of the table and you.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Thanks all for the positive comments- this one was fun to build.

Bill and Trent- the legs aren't that complicated (i.e. no sliding dovetails) Think hexagon. You see you create six pieces. (3 legs and 3 triangle "inserts") You then cut 30 degree angles on all the mating surfaces and glue them up in 2 sides. The 1st side is 2 legs and 1 triangle insert, then the other side is 1 leg and 2 triangle inserts. After each side is glued up you have 2 close to flat mating surfaces. Plane each one flat and then glue them together and you've got a base.

The top is attached to a board that is attached to the base, and then elongated screw holes in this board attach the top allowing for wood movement.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I really love the leg style.
Joinery is top notch.
A truly beautiful piece of work there.
I bet the grandparents are just beaming over this one, for sure.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Travis and Matthew- the Walnut was actually not to consistent, it had alot of purple, yellow, and various other colors mixed in. Also, this was kinda a scrap wood project so the "triangle" inserts on the legs were from Rick at the Woodworking source and his Walnut was actually a consistent lighter brown, distinctly different from the color streaked walnut. So to help even it all out my first coat of danish oil was actually Watco dark walnut. It looks a little dark but after it dry's and you put a couple of coats of poly the yellow tint from the poly helps to warm everything up. I used the same recipe on this key cabinet and it has always given me a very pleasing walnut color.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Think hexagon. You see you create six pieces. (3 legs and 3 triangle "inserts") You then cut 30 degree angles on all the mating surfaces and glue them up in 2 sides. The 1st side is 2 legs and 1 triangle insert, then the other side is 1 leg and 2 triangle inserts. After each side is glued up you have 2 close to flat mating surfaces. Plane each one flat and then glue them together and you've got a base.

Very cool trick! It's been added to my mental notebook.

Travis and Matthew- the Walnut was actually not to consistent, it had alot of purple, yellow, and various other colors mixed in. Also, this was kinda a scrap wood project so the "triangle" inserts on the legs were from Rick at the Woodworking source and his Walnut was actually a consistent lighter brown, distinctly different from the color streaked walnut. So to help even it all out my first coat of danish oil was actually Watco dark walnut. It looks a little dark but after it dry's and you put a couple of coats of poly the yellow tint from the poly helps to warm everything up. I used the same recipe on this key cabinet and it has always given me a very pleasing walnut color.

Thanks for the tip! I've got a bunch of rough walnut that is also multi-colored. I think it's going to end up being an over the commode cabinet for our main floor bathroom. I really like the idea of poly of the walnut watco.

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS