Modern Lounge Chair

Sourwood

New User
Graham
D2860E17-150D-4A9A-B894-739704440230.jpeg
This was a wedding gift for a friend of mine. Based of the Shaun Boyd “Glenn” design. Walnut and elbow grease. Finished with Rubio monocoat.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Wow Graham - great chairs!
Care to share the joinery used? Is is half lapped, and pegged (seat to frame)? What about the joints between the lower and upper seat sections?
Are there plans available? I haven't googled the attribution you provided.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The plans are available at the Shaun Boyd website. Here is the chair in a short video. He likes his new Festool domino too!

Sourwood

New User
Graham
@Henry W - the domino figured heavily into the build for me. One variation I made from the original plans was to lap the legs and chair sides instead of using dominos. I added small dowels for design more than strength, as there’s a whole lot of face grain contact there.

As @Jeff mentioned, plans are available digitally on Shaun Boyd’s site - and there’s also an option for him to send 1/2” MDF templates as well.

@gamiller3rd - I don’t have those exact measurements, but I’ll say its a deep seat. Definitely needs cushions in my opinion...

gamiller3rd

Pappy
Senior User
Thanks. The older I get the less appealing a low sitting chair like a traditional Adirondack is to me. Beautiful work.

Sourwood

New User
Graham
@gamiller3rd - I can appreciate that sentiment. I’m learning more about the importance of subtle angles and dimensions in chair making that tend to be less important in other furniture making.

Whitfield

Wells T.
User
Very cool. I'm in the last stages of completing Shaun's Longview table: Longview Dining Table Plans — Foureyes Furniture. For those not familiar, Shaun and Chris of Foureyes Furniture offer smart & elegant (modern, if that's your thing) designs, along with templates, plans and super helpful step-by-step video instructions for sale on their site. I've found the table build highly satisfying, and a great way to develop new skills for a relative noob such as myself. Yeah, it costs a few bucks, but for what you get, it's cheaper than your average woodworking class, and you can do it on your own time. I'm moving onto the Glenn chair next. And much as I sound like a pro-Foureyes bot in this post, I swear I'm not. Just a happy customer.

ShortRound84

New User
ShortRound
Nice looking chair! I like the design but $90 for plans seems... like they think very highly of their designs.

Have you thought about sourcing seat cushions for lounge chairs like that? The options online seem very expensive. I might try a local upholstery shop and see if they can beat the online price.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
It's just a great chair. .... More recently, I found a great store with quality and comfortable furniture that offers great models. You can see this for yourself by looking at the official website Office Furniture Online | Ideal Office Furniture Australia.
Alfredolch - when you say 'offers great models' do you mean that 'there is a range of great items there to choose from'? I went there looking for drawings and dimensions (I found none) and then later realized I likely misunderstood what you wrote. This is an Aussie site, so shipping might be a considerable cost.

waitup

Matt
Corporate Member
Beautiful work! I do enjoy Foureyes woodworking on Youtube, but that seems a little steep for some plans.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS