Modern Handrail near Raleigh in White Oak?

bradesp

New User
Brad
Can anyone point me to a source near Raleigh that might carry or be able to easily make me a 12' foot long, White Oak handrail in a contemporary profile called 6002?

The profile is a simple 2-3/4" wide x 1-5/8" tall with eased edge.. NO PLOW.

I need this approx. 142" long (11'-10")

Ideally I'd like to find this in quartersawn White Oak.

Thanks!

Brad

Attachments

• 6002 Handrail profile.jpg
    6002 Handrail profile.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 172

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Hey Brad.
I can't read that profile - it shows up as a rectangle with height and width, but no more.
Can you link or post a more detailed pic?
Have you tried millwork shops?
Capitol City Lumber carries some profiles, but no that one. They can also perform or source custom work. If the profile is a small roundover on a rectangle, then almost any WWer who can source the raw material could process that (including me).

bradesp

New User
Brad
Here is a clearer image of the handrail profile.

If anyone near Raleigh is willing to knock this out for me, please let me know!

Attachments

• 6002 Handrail w pic.jpg
    6002 Handrail w pic.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I think finding the material with no knots will take more time than producing the finished product. If you are looking for flawless material that is.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Here is a clearer image of the handrail profile.

1. And when you say quartersawn... do you mean with the grain running the way it is in this picture (grain perpendicular to the narrower face) or do you mean with the grain perpendicular to the wider face?
2. Eased edge - is radius specified? Is it 1/8"? smaller? larger?

Kelly

Kelly
User
Try The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville, NC. They do a little if everything. They are also a great supporter of this forum, advertising regularly.
Great people to deal with also.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It'd be much easier to just buy 12' of #6002. 2 3/4" thick is 12/4 rough cut lumber and that's not readily available. 12' of white oak is about $200.

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 9.24.28 AM.png

gritz

New User
Robert
I got some modern rail and shoe custom made and plowed for craftsman balusters from Baird Bros. in Ohio a few years ago. First shipment had a bowed piece, and was replaced immediately. With Covid-19 issues today, I'd probably look for something I could pick up.

Kelly

Kelly
User
Again , I suggest The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville. It is not far from Raleigh, and he might deliver it.
I happen to know the owner is a big fan of quarter sawn white oak. I think he put it throughout the house he just built. Look for his ad on this forum. I think we should try to support our advertisers. Just my thoughts....

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Again , I suggest The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville. It is not far from Raleigh, and he might deliver it.
I happen to know the owner is a big fan of quarter sawn white oak. I think he put it throughout the house he just built. Look for his ad on this forum. I think we should try to support our advertisers. Just my thoughts....

I agree entirely and have got most of my wood from The Hardwood Store. Good products and good people to work with. However, they don't list 12/4 quarter sawn white oak in their lumber inventory but they have several other species in 12/4.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS