Modern end table design

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
I would appreciate any advice or suggestions on a modern style end table design I'm working on:

EndTable_2007-11-16-lores.jpg

The box is intended to be curly maple and the legs and drawer a hard maple, maybe bleached but at least lighter and with less contrast than the well-figured (dyed?) curly.

The biggest question I have is about the box itself. I had originally wanted it to be a bit thicker material, but 1-1/2" or so makes it too heavy so it is shown at 3/4". I was debating between either a splined joint or some sort of keyed dovetail. I'd prefer the former because I'm trying to emphasize the simplicity of the box, but am concerned it won't be strong enough.

Thoughts and suggestions? Thanks in advance.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think that keyed miters would be strong enough, but you could also use a long spline running the length of the miter as added reinforcement.
I think that is going to be a really cool table. Please post some of your WIP pics when you get started
Dave:)

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Dovetails would be beautiful but I bow to the experts on deciding what works best for strength for the box. Can't wait to see the end results. Lorraine

sawman

New User
Albert
Steve,
My 3 cents worth towards your end table.
Splined joints, using hard maple, the ends of the spline will give another accent to the corners.
The arch on the bottom of the drawer is nice. From looking at your drawing I can not tell if the table has a back in it. If it does you could use another drawer face attached to the back bottom with the arch up. Makes it even so to speak.
I could not see a break point on the table legs indicating the start of a taper towards the top. You could do something to round the outside edges, something to soften the legs ( heavy is what I see).
Comments glady and freely given by a half blind wood dust creator.

Later,

Albert:saw:

You could make the top wider than the bottom that would look neat.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Thanks, all, for the input.

sawman, I had not intended it to have a back, the box will have to be strong enough from it's four planes. It is supposed to look the same from both sides, but I hadn't really thought if it is two drawers or one opposite a false one/back.

The legs are actually reduced from earlier designs, but I think you're right about them still being too heavy. I wanted to make sure they held the box square, but rounding the face that is away from the box sounds like a very good idea. The part under the box could probably still be reduced, too.

I appreciate the advise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors