Moderation Drop Down Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Monty,
The moderation drop down menu located at the bottom of each forum page is defaulted to "Delete Thread". Would it be possible to change the default to "Close Thread"? I suspect with the current requirement to close threads > 30 days old that the "Close Thread" option will be the most frequently used option. Also, if "Delete Thread" remains the default then potentially one of the Mods could accidentally delete a thread (or a bunch) if they are not paying close attention to what they are doing.

If this can be done then just tell me and I will go into the AdminCP to see if I can figure it out.

D L

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Jonz said:
That would be a great change.

Well, I think Monty is already playing with it because "Close Thread" has disappeared and "Merge Posts" is now the default.:lol:

1 hour and 20 mins till back up.:rolf:

D L

Edit: :eusa_doh: I was looking at the drop down menu for this thread and not the forum drop down menu.

Monty

New User
Monty
That's a great idea, but I don't know how to change it. There are a few quirky forum-specific permissions here and there that affect the appearance of that menu, but I don't know where to go to sort it.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Monty said:
That's a great idea, but I don't know how to change it. There are a few quirky forum-specific permissions here and there that affect the appearance of that menu, but I don't know where to go to sort it.

I tried looking for it myself in the AdminCP and didn't see anything. I did find the area for assigning child forums, etc.

D L

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Now hear this, now hear this, this is a test, I say again, this is a test. The smoking lamp is out on decks. We are pulling along side the AdminCP->Style and Templates for a Modification drill.

Observers will be posted on all decks. They will provide assistance once the proper Template is located

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
SteveColes said:
Now hear this, now hear this, this is a test, I say again, this is a test. The smoking lamp is out on decks. We are pulling along side the AdminCP->Style and Templates for a Modification drill.

Observers will be posted on all decks. They will provide assistance once the proper Template is located

Aye, Aye Captain.:icon_thum

Geez............I sure hope we aren't traveling on the SS Princess Coles. I would hate to suddenly list 27° to starboard.:lol:

Steve, I will open up on of the forums in a separate window and keep an eye on the drop down menu.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Skipping my stupid Navel metaphor. What I meant was, when one of your guys found the proper template, I as the "Observer" would provide hints as how to change it to achieve the desired effect.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
SteveColes said:
Skipping my stupid Navel metaphor. What I meant was, when one of your guys found the proper template, I as the "Observer" would provide hints as how to change it to achieve the desired effect.

:eusa_doh: LOL........okay, I got it Steve. I will go take a look to see if I can find it. Just let me know if we start taking on water.:lol:

D L

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
SteveColes said:

Steve, how about?

AdminCP>Style and Templaltes>Faster Woodworking (or Default?)>Forum Home Template>>Go button?

Am I close to the right area?

D L

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
This really should be done by a webmaster or an administrator. Oh and we know no administrators and Monty's working his own site:roll: I guess that leaves me:lol:

You are on the right track. All template changes should be made to the default style.

So AdminCP>Style and Templaltes> Default Style-> Edit Templates->Forum Display templates -> FORUMDISPLAY

Then search for the word moderation in the template. Unless you know more HTML than I suspect, you better let me or Monty do it

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
SteveColes said:
This really should be done by a webmaster or an administrator. Oh and we know no administrators and Monty's working his own site:roll: I guess that leaves me:lol:

You are on the right track. All template changes should be made to the default style.

So AdminCP>Style and Templaltes> Default Style-> Edit Templates->Forum Display templates -> FORUMDISPLAY

Then search for the word moderation in the template. Unless you know more HTML than I suspect, you better let me or Monty do it

Thanks Steve, I am going to go look for it just for my own knowledge but I am not going to touch any of the HTML stuff.

D L

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
My best guess would be to work in this area:

['pagenav']"><br /></if><strong>$vbphrase[moderation]</strong><br />
<select name="do">
<optgroup label="$vbphrase[option]">
<if condition="$show['deletethread']">

.......and change "$show['deletethread']" to "$show['closethread']

Of course I am sure a bunch of stuff dealing with values a couple lines down would have to be changed as well.

D L

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
You got the idea:eusa_clap :icon_thum BUT, the best way is to simply change the order of the options moving close to the top of that list with its conditional.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
sapwood said:
Would one of you toss me a line (uh, link) on the specifics of Merge, Split, etc., Mod drop down menu? Don't worry I won't sink the site, just want to find a good read for a leisure moment and upgrade my skills. I've browsed the definitions and understand that. My interest is in How To and What Happens If. There doesn't appear to be a means to "test" without interferring with the site. I am actually pretty good at picking up this stuff 8-O

Roger (High seas hijacker)

Roger, I seem to recall something I read about these areas in the Mod & Admin Forum earlier when I became a Mod. Give me a few minutes to see if I can find it and I will post a link.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Fixed. That's all I needed to know was where it was set. Thanks for finding it DL. I think you're well on your way to administrator!!!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Monty said:
Fixed. That's all I needed to know was where it was set. Thanks for finding it DL. I think you're well on your way to administrator!!!

Bite your tongue8-O

:lol:
D L

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Thanks for changing that default Monty, it looks great. This should help prevent any accidental thread deletions.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors