Model Ships, Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnie

New User
Arnie
I'm trying to make a Model sailing ship and can't figure out how to go about shaping the the hull. I have cut out the both sides and now need to start shaping the curves etc.
This is my first try at this and not sure if i have the right tools to accomplish the task.

Any help will be appreciated.
Arnie

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
There are many tools for shaping hulls,a lot depends on the size.Sanders(belt,angle,da,pad,1/4 sheet,block),rasp,planes and a host of other tools.As far as shaping pulling your hand along the hull can tell you if it is fair.A 1/4" x 1/4" batten held along the hull will show you any high or low spots.Some more info as how big will help.
Tony

arnie

New User
Arnie
The Hull is approx 13"L x 3 1/4"H x 3"w. I'm basing the model on a plastic model I bought so that i would have some visual guides.

RandyinNC

New User
Randy
It depends on what type of boat project you have. To my knowledge there are only a few styles of boat that are built with single piece of wood for the sides. Most use a plank-at-a-time method where you shape a plank for either side, attach it and then proceed to shape and attach another plank. This is done from the keel to the gunwales with the boat upside down. The shape is determined by temporary bulkheads attached to a piece of wood that holds them in position or a frame. The planks are either fitted edge to edge or one side is overlapped the previous board for a lapstrake hull.

Does this sound like that kind of boat project you have? Or is yours a plywood hull boat? There is a lot of information on the web about these boat building technics.

Good luck,
Randy

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I ran into this while looking for something else.

An ancient book called
The Ship Model Builder's Assistant

By Charles G. Davis

Not sure if it will help you out or not. Google books has a pretty large sample of the contents.

- Ken.

arnie

New User
Arnie
Thanks for the responses which helped point me in the right direction. I'm going to need to do a lot of research before going any further. First stop will be to B&N to check some books out.

THanks again.

Weber

New User
Larry
I followed the same route about 45 years ago! Bought a plastic model and scaled it up 3 times which gave me a hull about 36 inches. I just layered up a solid hull out of 1 in pine shelving and then shaped it with a belt sander and hand sanding. I then "planked" it with strips I cut from a sheet of veneer and coppered the bottom with small rectangles of copper foil used for embossing. I shaped the masts from dowels, made eyes from fishhooks, etc. It turned out really well. With bowsprit etc its about 44 in long and on its stand goes up about 46 in. It's down at the coast but when I get down there, I'll grab a picture.

If you are not too far down the road, you might consider scaling it up to a larger size - it really helps when rigging it.

I've built a lot furniture etc over the years but the ship gets as many oohs and ahs as any thing I ever did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS