Mobile Base oops

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I got the Shop Fox D2058A mobile base for my G0524X band saw. This is the mobile base reccomended for this saw by Grizzly.

Tried to open the lower door yesterday and discovered this little oops.

Garage-Shop_312.JPG

View image in gallery

The bolts the secure the rails to the corners stick up higher than the bottom of the door. The bolts that come with the mobile base are M8-1.25 x 25. I picked up some M8-1.25 x 16 from Ace Hardware, the shortest ones they had. Still had to cut them down by about 2-3 threads.

I probably could have solved the problem with a piece of 3/4" plywood on the mobile base, under the saw. I didn't want to have to take the saw off the mobile base or disassemble it. Should work fine like this.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Send Grizzly a note explaining problem, as they may not be aware of it. Suggest that they look at your thread to see problem, and solution.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Send Grizzly a note explaining problem, as they may not be aware of it. Suggest that they look at your thread to see problem, and solution.

I believe Grizzly is already aware of this. I spoke with them about the issue when ordering my bandsaw and mobile base and using a piece of plywood seems to be the official fix.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Oh no, you must put it back to factory spec!!!

This is clearly a violation of the CPSC Rule #98321 regarding Bandsaw Safety.

What you have done here is bypass one of the most important safety devices known to man......

Yes, I refer to the.....

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Adding the plywood is probably a better way to correct this. The plywood may raise the saw enough to clear the wheel platform. If it does, the wheels can be moved to the long side of the mobile base and give it a little more width.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Drilling through the rails would have worked, but then you would lose some of the adjustability.

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
Mark,

May I suggest a different option to make your bandsaw mobile?

Take a look at Zambus or the more economical Great Lakes Casters. They install under the device and don't make the footprint any larger. All four contact points swivel so 10 point turns in the shop are gone, and when you park it they actually transition to solid rubber levelers and vibration dampeners.

Here is a link I posted back when I started using them:
http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12555

I have them on my 21" Grizzly and it's so easy to move now.

As long as you have those (for lack of a better term) 45-degree corner braces inside the base of your saw you can use the caster system. If you do, they'll be pre-drill for the bolts used to secure the saw to the pallet during shipping so no work needed. This is a pain free installation, no tools beyond a wrench needed.

I don't have a picture with the casters on as I've cleaned up my web links, but here is my saw back when I bought it with the holes bolted down, which you should have as well.

bandsaw2.jpg

And here is a picture of how they work as wheels when moving, but levelers when parked:
leveling.gif

And that pick shows the best part when compared to a mobile base... the wheel is not used when parked and is offset to where the parked leveler (which is big solid rubber) is in direct contact with the floor and not offset at all so the weight transfer is directly straight to the ground.

Hope this helps,
-Kevin

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Take a look at Zambus or the more economical Great Lakes Casters. They install under the device and don't make the footprint any larger. All four contact points swivel so 10 point turns in the shop are gone, and when you park it they actually transition to solid rubber levelers and vibration dampeners.
+1. I have Great Lakes casters on my Jointer/ Planer, and I've been very pleased with them. The setup is rock solid. Now, if you have a machine you need to wheel into position every time before you can use it, these casters aren't ideal because you have to get on the ground to raise/ lower them. But if you only plan to move the machine once in a while, they're terrific.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I wonder how well those casters would roll over the rubber mats on have on my shop floor. The wheels on the 220lb capacity casters are 1.75" diameter. I have had a difficult time moving things over the rubber mat with smaller diameter wheels.

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
THose look pretty cool, Kevin. Which model number did you use on your bandsaw?

Looking back at my order, it was:
LV-1710-NYP-S-M12 - 1.75" Stabilizing Casters with a 220lbs capacity in motion and a 550lbs capacity when the stabilizer leg in extended.

So on their web page that's:
http://www.greatlakescaster.com/gre...bilizer_leg_in_extended-LV-1710-NYP-S-M12.php

As to how they will work on a soft/rubber mat.... It shouldn't be a problem and could/should be better. I'm still at work and can't check but maybe Bas can help confirm, but I think that the wheels are hard plastic to allow for easy movement. Compared to the soft rubber on the leveler/stand parts. Also, if I recall right, the wheels are much barrel like to distribute the weight a bit.

Hope this helps,
-Kevin

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
OK, got home and checked. The wheels are hard plastic. The levers are a hard rubber.

Here is a quick set of pics taken with my phone:
(Excuse the sawdust, I'm a huge mess in the garage at the moment)
Caster1.jpg

Caster2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS