Mitre Saw Station Build (Updated Pics - 11/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
After much thought, I went to the shop this morning and got started building my new mitre saw station... I purchased a new Dewalt 12" SCMS a couple of months ago to replace my old 12" Dewalt. I got the carcasses and tops built today and got the table for the saw installed.
- The saw table is going to function as a down draft for dust collection.
- Going to custom build a hood of sorts for the rear as the dust port on the Dewalt stinks.
- Will have lots of drawers for much needed storage.
- Installed levelers underneath that can be adjusted from inside the cabinet.

Will post more as I progress this week.

Mitre_Station_1.JPG

View image in gallery

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Re: Started Mitre Saw Station Today

After much thought, I went to the shop this morning and got started building my new mitre saw station... I purchased a new Dewalt 12" SCMS a couple of months ago to replace my old 12" Dewalt. I got the carcasses and tops built today and got the table for the saw installed.
- The saw table is going to function as a down draft for dust collection.
- Going to custom build a hood of sorts for the rear as the dust port on the Dewalt stinks.
- Will have lots of drawers for much needed storage.
- Installed levelers underneath that can be adjusted from inside the cabinet.

Will post more as I progress this week.

Excellent start. :icon_thum

I will be watching to see your dust collection hood design. That is something that I have to do myself, 'real soon now'.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

Looks good Steve. Eventually I've got to do the same thing. I've got the 12" DeWalt miter saw now, and I want to upgrade to the SCMS. I made the mistake of bring my dust collection in from the top instead of from underneath. I'll correct that when I upgrade the saw.

Bill

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User

Over at Woodnet, look at "photog's" post on Big Gulp and Dust collection. That's how I did mine on my DeWalt 705.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

Over at Woodnet, look at "photog's" post on Big Gulp and Dust collection. That's how I did mine on my DeWalt 705.

Do you have a link to that post, Bruce? I can't seem to find it, or a user with the handle photog. Woodnet does not appear to have a membership list that can be browsed through.

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User

Thanks for the idea but that is for the 705... I purchased a 718 which is the sliding version.. I dont have room to install a hood behind it!! I have an idea but it is still stuck in my head!!:rotflm:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

Thanks for that link. :icon_thum

Thanks for the idea but that is for the 705... I purchased a 718 which is the sliding version.. I dont have room to install a hood behind it!! I have an idea but it is still stuck in my head!!:rotflm:

Get it unstuck. I've got the older 708 slider and haven't got any ideas at all. :nah:

RandyJ

New User
Randy

I too have the slider version and have been scratching my head ever since I bought it!:icon_scra
If anyone has any ideas, I would love the hear them.:dontknow:

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User

Get it unstuck. I've got the older 708 slider and haven't got any ideas at all. :nah:

Well I guess banging my head enough paid off... :gar-La;

I figured out the DC configuration and think it will work pretty good... It cost me about $30.00 but hopefully will make for an easy install. I will post pics after I get it started tommorow!! :icon_thum

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
Re: Started Mitre Saw Station Today (Updated Pics 11/14)

I got the tops cut, trimmed out, and laminated. Still have to apply urethane to the edges as well as the base fence.

Also started the fences which presented a problem... The factory fence on my new saw has to move in order to bevel cut... Therefore, I designed a sliding fence to allow for this.

This base will be bolted to the top.. It is MDF veneered with 1/4" birch plywood and trimmed with laminate

The front fence will be dadoed and a track installed on the back to allow it to slide

This is the saw fence slid over to allow bevel cuts... As you can see the front fence can be moved over and secured when bevel cuts are required... The back base will be secure and stationary.. The tops also had to be cut to allow the saw to mitre over to 60 degrees.

Will post more updates later this week

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Re: Started Mitre Saw Station Today (Updated Pics - 11/14)

Nice solution to the moving fence problem. :icon_thum

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
I got the down draft table finished today and the DC installed for it... The hole pattern for the down draft matches the openings in the base of the saw to hopefully maximize the airflow in the right areas to pull most of the dust downward.

I am going to level up the tops and install the fences this weekend... I should also be able to finish up the upper DC connection and will post pics when done.

The DC piping will extend up the wall:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I like that downdraft set up.

Are you planning any dust collection for behind the saw?

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
Are you planning any dust collection for behind the saw?

Yea I am tying in a hose to DC port on the saw... I tried several variations of down draft behind it which did no better than the hose... I think with the down draft below and the hose, I should be able to cut down about 85% of the dust. That was my guess on a trial run this morning but the ducts were not sealed and were leaking quite a bit.:eusa_danc

Will post pics when I get it finished.

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
I found the mini hose that Woodcraft sells worked well connecting my DeWalt CMS to the ShopVac. Here is a thread that shows some of the setup.

:gar-La; Great minds must think alike... I purchased that hose last week and found it to work very well!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS