Mitering Birch Plywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

alleng

New User
allen
I am cutting birch plywood and am getting a lot of splinters on the edges...just wondering which would make a cleaner cut...a miter saw or a table saw. I am cutting 45 degree angles to make a mitered corner on a box. Any suggestions, please?:eusa_thin

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Have you tried scoring the line??? and I think that neither saw would make a much cleaner cut, seems it would be more blade-dependent? What are you using for blade?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would think that a TS with a good ZCI would be able to make a better (splinterless) miter cut than a CMS which doesn't really have a ZCI. If you could devise a good system to back-up the cut on the CMS, you might end up with the same cut quality.
Dave:)

alleng

New User
allen
i am using a 60 tooth carbide on my 12 inch mitre saw,and i do score the cut line with a knife.the top side cimes out pretty clean,its the back,or bottom im having trouble with.zci?not sure what this is.the blade im using is a dewalt,might have to step up to a freud possibly.i think that possibly you get what you pay for,the saw came with a 40 tooth so i thought i was upgrading with the 60.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
ZCI= Zero clearance insert.

table saw may give a cleaner cut then... and 60 teeth should probably give a cleaner cut than the 40. DeWalt makes decent blades (ducking), it's what we used when I was flooring, and if we didn't use at least that, the manufacturer wouldn't honor the warranty.

an issue with your score mark may be the relationship to where it is, compared to the cut. if the blade is falling on the score, it is really doing nothing, but if the blade is falling with its extreme edge on the score mark, then you should be in business???

DavidF

New User
David
Try cutting through blue tape

I've used this before and it works. Just be sure to really press down on the tape to ensure all the fibers are well stuck to it. How about lowering the blade right down to make a very, very shallow pass to make the score line then just raise the blade. This way the fence is in the correct position and make sure that the score cut and the through cut are in the same place.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You could also put a thin board on the bottom side of the miter saw so that it splinters and not your ply. Your ply is splitting most likely due to the open area in the miter saw not supporting the ply on the bottom.

M

McRabbet

I've been using blue or regular masking tape for years when cutting plywood at any angle and tearout is always minimized. I also use good sharp saw blades -- Forrest WWII in my Table Saw, Freud "Ultimate" 96-Tooth in my CMS and a Freud thin kerf in my circular saw.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS