Miter saws for use close to a wall

dpsnyder

Dan
Corporate Member
Have a new dewalt 12" dual bevel sliding and it is a beast, but sticks out from wall on bench further than I want as the rails extend beyond.

Anyone used the Makita side slide miter saw? Benefit is it sits a lot closer to wall on a shop work bench. 12" dual bevel. Seems like with compressed back area, a dust shroud would be easier to build too.

Or the Bosch with the articulating arm. It has good ratings but concerned on a lot more parts yo break or sawdust to get in.

Would sell my new dewalt with stand for the Makita perhaps.
Dan

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I have the Bosch axial glide. I‘ll sum up a brief review by saying I wasn’t very happy at first, but now I am.

My main complaint was the indexing lever is not only plastic - PLASTIC!, it was also loose, which cause a 2-3° wobble when locked into a slot. After tightening up the pivot screw and finally adding a shim, I seem to have that fixed. Could have been a fluke, I’ve not seen that issue described in a review.

The positives - It has plenty of power and less slop at full extension than other saws, dust collection isn’t bad.

$600+ I expected more, and a saw of that caliber should have a laser or similar. Had to do over I would get a DW XPS.

MTod

Michael
Corporate Member
Dan,

i had the Dewalt for 15 years and was very happy with it. When it finally died I got the Makita for the same reasons you speak of. I am quite happy with it and find it at least as good as the old yellow saw. The angle adjustment is excellent. The bevel is not quite as easily executed due to being a little bit fiddly. You can lock out the slide and have an even more accurate saw for narrower pieces. I use a Tenryu blade in it that performs very well for finish cuts.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've had a Bosch 12" axial glide since they came out (10+ years). I have had no problems with it, no noticeable wear or slop. I'm a hobbyist so I don't use it all day every day, but am very happy with it.

Fermentorman

Mark
Corporate Member
Have a new dewalt 12" dual bevel sliding and it is a beast, but sticks out from wall on bench further than I want as the rails extend beyond.

Anyone used the Makita side slide miter saw? Benefit is it sits a lot closer to wall on a shop work bench. 12" dual bevel. Seems like with compressed back area, a dust shroud would be easier to build too.

Or the Bosch with the articulating arm. It has good ratings but concerned on a lot more parts yo break or sawdust to get in.

Dan
The Festool Kapex only has forward facing rails - no projection to the back at all. Granted, it is grossly overpriced impossible to find and requires some patience, but overall is an excellent tool.

dpsnyder

Dan
Corporate Member
The Festool Kapex only has forward facing rails - no projection to the back at all. Granted, it is grossly overpriced impossible to find and requires some patience, but overall is an excellent tool.
Ha, festool is definitely out of my price range! I do want to retire someday :)

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I have a Hitachi (now known as Metabo) C12RSH2S.

1636898411330.png

It has the slides off to one side
1636898580483.png

Previously I had a 10" Ridgid non-sliding saw. The dust collection on it was actually pretty good for just a bag. The Hitachi/Metabo makes a complete mess every time I use it and the slide bars get dusty and need frequent attention. I give them a quick whisk with a brush almost every time I use it. It's going to need a shroud of some kind.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have the Bosch Axial and a Dewalt 780 Zero problems on both are newer.
The Bosch has more ease of use IMHO, the adjustment settings are all in the front, the dust collection is better and the zero clearance in the back is now why I am selling the DeWalt, it just takes too much space to set up.
If you want to add a Shadow light, this guys shows you a way to do it cheaply. -ADDING SHADOW LIGHT-
You do not have to do exactly what he did but it shows you the procedure and a successful method.

Right now some of the places have it on sale (got mine for 560 w/tax) seeing similar pricing right now ..... and I am in Hawaii.... :oops:

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I looked at the old Hitachi and it seemed very sloppy. Some love the Bosch, but other reviews say it is sloppy. Same with the Makita. So, take your pick and buy from someone with a good return policy if you find it too sloppy. Me, I am saving up for the Festool. Actually wish I had my old strait Delta back as it was far more rigid.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Ridgid has recently come out with a new miter saw that doesn't use the rails so it has no rear dimension. I have no experience with this saw but it is another option for you

Echd

C
User
Looks like it might just be a recolored version of the delta sliding miter at first glance. Not that that is a bad thing, I think people generally like those.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Looks like it might just be a recolored version of the delta sliding miter at first glance. Not that that is a bad thing, I think people generally like those.
Very possible, it does look like the same mechanism as the Delta

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
You can occasionally find a Kapex on the Festool Refurbished site. I did, but it took a long time of checking whenever one was announced before I found one that was not already sold.

etout00

Erik
Senior User
I have a Hitachi (now known as Metabo) C12RSH2S.

View attachment 205915

It has the slides off to one side
View attachment 205922

Previously I had a 10" Ridgid non-sliding saw. The dust collection on it was actually pretty good for just a bag. The Hitachi/Metabo makes a complete mess every time I use it and the slide bars get dusty and need frequent attention. I give them a quick whisk with a brush almost every time I use it. It's going to need a shroud of some kind.
I just picked up this same miter saw on clearance at Lowes…can’t beat $165. It’s one of the few on the market with forward facing rails.

Ralrick

New User
Rick

Dan
Dan -

I have the 10" Makita (LS1019L). Saw is excellent and it does fit very close to the back wall HOWEVER, when placed close to a back wall you will have problems connecting to the dust collection port . . . . talk about crappy design planning! Anyway, I ordered the saw online from Acme Tools and the first one was delivered with the slide mechanism not aligned to the blade and there is no user alignment process. They sent another one immediately and it has been perfect.

As for the dust collection, I'm looking at just using suction from underneath the saw and scrapping the dust collection hookup to the saw. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Rick

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member

Dan
For a long time, miters saws were used almost exclusively in the construction industry. On a job site, how much room the back of the saw takes up is pretty much a non-issue. As these saw became more capable, they became even bigger. Having using saws from the big manufacturers, I settled on the big Dewalt compound miters saws years ago. It's not that Makita and Bosch don't make good saws, but I have just gotten so accustomed to the accuracy and robustness of Dewalt saws that I would be reluctant to change brands at this time. Right now, my miter saw is on a portable setup. I still use it in the field from time to time. I do plan on making the back wall of my garage/shop into a miter saw station with different wall storage. If I can't make my Dewalt miter saw work, then I might look for another model for the miter station. I looked at the Kapex saw a while back, but I just can't see me spending $1575.00 for a tool that costs around $500, or less, from other big name tool manufacturers.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS