Miter Saw Station

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Finally got around to making and installing the Miter Saw Station I had planned a year ago. Very functional with 24" deep drawers and plenty of work surface. No fence (wood whisperer design) but I will be installing T-Track with tape measure and stop block system on both sides. I am a little disappointed with the melamine work surface color - I called and ordered black melamine plywood and when I went to pick-up, it was white over MDF - it wasn't worth another round-trip so I went with the white. It is good quality and it had melamine on both sides but would have preferred black.

It is nice having the miter saw set up in the shop rather than being something that I would have to move and work around when I had it portable. I'm still looking for a way to reposition my dust collector to the left to give me more length but haven't finalized that plan yet.

Biggest concern I'm still trying to solve is the dust collection on the Makita LS-1019. The dust port is a weird size and the location doesn't allow the saw to be pushed back the way the slider part of the saw would allow. For those that have the Makita saw, would love to hear if anyone has found a good solution for the connection to the dust chute on this saw. My plan is to have a dedicated shop vac as shown in the picture that is wired to turn on/off with the saw but I need swivel elbow type connector to really make this work well and positioned back toward the wall.

Rick

Attachments

• IMG_1682.jpg
    IMG_1682.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 198

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Here is my DC solution. The panels slide left and right to accomodate miter cuts.

I have a dedicated wall mount type blower just for it and my router table. (The blast gate on the front is for router table).

I am very happy with the performance.

IMG_0115.jpg

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Here is my DC solution. The panels slide left and right to accomodate miter cuts.

I have a dedicated wall mount type blower just for it and my router table. (The blast gate on the front is for router table).

I am very happy with the performance.

View attachment 199341
Bob - do you just contain the dust within the enclosure and then have a large collection area connected to the dust collection hose? or Do you have a method for connecting the 5" flex pipe to the back of the saw dust port?

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Just a pipe connected to the outlet on the saw that extends back toward the mouth of the chute. The majority of the dust comes out of there and is blown down toward the chute.

Its the dust that is spewed all over where the shroud really proves itself. There is virtually no dust forward of the fence.
Its not hard to collect directly with a shop vac but most saws are still going to spew a lot of dust around.

The key is having lots of suction. A shop vac is not going to do it with this type of set up.

I'll post a couple more pic's that explain the setup more clearly.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Nice Rick !

Seeing Dr Bob's Collection of Routers makes me not feel alone in my addiction ....... :D

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have a dedicated vacuum hooked up to the saw's dust port, with a general cleanup port hooked up to my DC using 6" flex hose. It gets most of the dust, but you really need to wall off as much as possible. I can make 45 degree miter cuts to either side, but for bevel cuts I have to remove the enclosure. That only takes a minute or so, and generally doesn't happen more than once a year.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS