miter saw settings for crown moulding??

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeeter

New User
Charles
I am attempting to wrap the top of a 12' x 1' bookcase in crown moulding. Since I only have a limited amount of crown, I can't do a lot of experimenting. :BangHead::BangHead: Can someone tell me what miter saw settings to use for the corners and to join two pieces on the front? Thanks!

ACobra289

New User
Bill
What Skymaster said. Turn the crown upside down and pretend the base of the saw is the ceiling and the fence is the wall. It's easy to get confused on which way the miter cut goes (at least for my simple mind. :gar-Bi), so be sure to think it through carefully. Place some blue masking tape on the crown in the area you are cutting to show you which direction to cut. The blue tape can also help if you are coping the corners as it gives a good contrast from the area you want to cope.

Good luck.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
If you haven't done this before you will surely make many cuts wrong before you finish. It might be a good idea to buy some of the cheapest molding that you can find and experiment with it before going ahead with the final molding. Having someone who has done it before, to help you get started doing it, would be a good idea too. It's not too bad, once you learn the tricks, but accuracy and measuring/marking correctly, and the right technique will play a big part in the end result.

Also, there are three types of molding, those that you hold flat against the fence and saw base (easiest), and those that you hold at 37 or 52 degrees (if I remember the numbers right). This refers to the slope on the back of the wider moldings like crown molding as these do not fit flat against the material that they are being joined to, so they must be held off of the miter saw's fence by this angle for the saw to make the correct 45 degree cuts. If you have a compound angle miter saw there are tables for setting the correct saw angles to allow these moldings to be cut while lying flat on the miter saw. These angles require near perfect settings to get good results.

Charley

skeeter

New User
Charles
Thanks everyone for the help.

Went to a neighborhood get-together last night and was talking about my problem. I was given a couple of scrap pieces of crown to practice on and was told to call her if I needed help.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Charles,

You've gotten some great advice. My advice would've been to practice on some scrap before doing the real thing. Looks like you've covered that base already. :icon_thum Also, remember to take your measurements from where the bottom of the crown would be on the book case. Then measure out your cuts on the bottom of the crown moulding. It may help to set a piece of it on your book case, making sure that the back sides are flush, the way they need to be. Then make a few pencil marks on the book case to use as a reference. Daggonit! If I were still in town, I'd be over there in 15 minutes to help. :BangHead: It probably wouldn't hurt to watch a few youtube videos on it as well. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Also, remember to take your measurements from where the bottom of the crown would be on the book case. Then measure out your cuts on the bottom of the crown moulding.

Please forgive me for making that sound way too complicated. :slap: I need to get out of "construction world", where the walls are never flat and the corners are never 90 degrees. :gar-La;

Just measure the side of the book case that you're working on and transfer that measurement to the bottom of the crown and make your cuts. If it is the way I'm picturing it, the backs of the sides are cut flat on the saw and are flush against the wall. You're making all "outside" cuts. Work your way from the wall on one side and go around the piece. HTH. :icon_thum

skeeter

New User
Charles
OK, Trent, time to move back to the beach. Did I mention there was a pro/am surfing turnament at WB this weekend. Sorry, that info just slipped. :gar-La;:gar-La;

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
What was failed to said is to have crown place against the fence like it be on wall(upside down). Don't sit it flat against the fence.!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
OK, Trent, time to move back to the beach. Did I mention there was a pro/am surfing turnament at WB this weekend. Sorry, that info just slipped. :gar-La;:gar-La;

I wish.... :tinysmile_cry_t: Been looking at the photos from the contest online and drooling. :sad11:

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
Sorry to go off target, but...
Trent - did you get a chance to surf on Kauai?? maybe go out with Nathaniel? just curious
Russ

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Sorry to go off target, but...
Trent - did you get a chance to surf on Kauai?? maybe go out with Nathaniel? just curious
Russ

Sure didn't. When we got there, we thought the rental car was included in our package, but........ nope... :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: So there went the surf board rental money. :rotflm:

The only place I saw that looked worth it was Hanalei Bay, but it was PACKED out. Everywhere else was pretty marginal, even for East Coast standards. :dontknow:

BSHuff

New User
Brian
I got one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-10-027-Polymer-Crown-Cut/dp/B000OR8JJ8 It really helped the last time I put up crown. For me it was a 2 factor jig, yes it did hold the piece in the proper position but what helped the most was having the directions 'in your face' for every cut helps to drill in the proper method. Now I just have to have the jig sitting next to the saw to remind me of the system and then cut 'free hand'. I am pretty sure I have saved multiple times over in what would have been scrap moulding by getting the jig.

Most important piece is the mounding bottom up towards blade and to keep the piece standing like it would be on the wall at a consistent angle across all cuts (the jig does this)

I know that there are several other commercial jigs out there that are the same/similar. I got what was on the shelf at BORG at the time and it served well.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Thanks to all your instructions and advise, some scrap crown given by a neighbor for practice, and some clips on youtube, I got the moulding cut.

Thanks again!
Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS