Miter Saw Cart

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
As part of my never-ending quest to maximize my limited shop space, I built a miter saw cart with fold-out wings and storage. I had a Bora miter saw stand that I hardly used, and its footprint was way too large that I mostly kept it folded up in the corner of the shop. The miter saw I took off and just put on top of an old steel cart I had. What put me over the edge was picking up a new sliding miter saw from PeteQuad when he was clearing out his shop. It's a Milwaukee 12" slider that has a MUCH larger footprint than my 10" Hitachi non-slider. Now that it's completed, i'm making space by getting rid of the cart, stand, and old saw. I had some drawers that the new miter saw was sitting on that I can now move elsewhere in the shop, probably under a workbench to conserve floor space. I haven't decided what I'll use the storage in the cart for yet. I'll probably end up putting some shelves in it to maximize the space and keep my circular saw and other tools in there.

Made from 2 sheets of 3/4 Radiata Pine plywood from HD (about $40/sheet). Pocket hole joinery, concealed hinges for the doors, 5" locking casters. I bought the plans from Fisher's Shop. For $5, it was well worth it, and he has a video detailing the construction. The wing supports have furniture levelers to level the wings to the saw. One thing to note that the plans didn't mention is to measure the height of the miter saw bed before cutting the wings so they're the same height when deployed. My saw's bed height was about an inch taller than what was in the plans.

IMG_2502.jpeg
IMG_2503.jpeg
IMG_2504.jpeg

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
It looks very nice James, but how are you planning on dealing with that 1" difference in height? It was really convenient with the miter saws that were 3 1/2" table height, allowing for a 2x4 on edge to become a support. I'm sure you're enjoying the new saw stand/cabinet anyhow, good job sir!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Luckily I thought about it before I cut the sides of the wings. When it came time to assemble the wings on the cart, i installed the bottom of the wing on the hinge, then put the saw on and measured it. Ended up perfect.
Good thinking. For my (old) miter saw cart as well as my current miter bench I put the sides about 1/4" higher, then shimmed the saw to get it perfect.
Very nice design overall, looks extremely sturdy. And smart to get 5" casters, bigger wheels roll so much better.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
@Bas That's a good way to solve that problem too, if your wings are higher than the saw bed. Easier to shim the saw up than raise the side supports if your supports are already built.

I'm loving the 5" casters. I put 3 inchers on my flip cart, and now I wish I had put at least 4" ones on it.

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
Nice jobs! I used jam nuts on bolts to get mine fairly level with the wing surface. Easily able to make micro adjustments on each corner.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS